How Do You Calculate Overall Error Percentage Between Two Data Sets?

• Thread starter Jameseyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating error percentages for two data sets. The method for calculating individual error percentages is given, but there is a question about how to determine the overall error percentage for data set 2 compared to data set 1. Various methods for calculating overall error are suggested, but it is noted that there is no one correct way to do so.
Jameseyboy
Hi,

I have 3 values for data set 1 (1a, 1b, 1c), and 3 values for data set 2 (2a, 2b, 2c). (assume set 1 are the ones being compared to)

I know that to work out the error percentage for 1a and 2a -- it is the difference (of 1a and 2a) divided by 1a x 100.

I can do the same with 1b and 2b, and 1c, and 2c.

However, I need to work out the OVERALL error percentage for the data set 2, compared to 1.

How can this be done?

Thanks,

James

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Overall error is too vague. My guess (since I am not sure what it means) would be to use the averages for both data sets and compare.

There is no unique way to do that, and it depends what you mean by "overall error" and what you use it for
- you could just take the average, taking sign into account
- or the average of the absolute values
- or (perhaps the more common meaning), the square root of the sum of squared errors
- or many others;).

Related to How Do You Calculate Overall Error Percentage Between Two Data Sets?

What is the formula for calculating error percentages?

The formula for calculating error percentages is: (|Observed Value - Expected Value| / Expected Value) x 100%.

Why is it important to calculate error percentages?

Calculating error percentages allows scientists to quantify the difference between observed data and expected values. This can help identify any discrepancies or errors in the data collection or analysis process.

What is a common source of error when calculating percentages?

A common source of error when calculating percentages is human error, such as incorrect data entry or miscalculations. It is important to double check all calculations and data entries to minimize this type of error.

How can error percentages be used in scientific experiments?

Error percentages can be used to evaluate the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. It can also help determine the precision of instruments used in the experiment.

What is the difference between absolute error and relative error?

Absolute error is the difference between the observed value and the expected value, while relative error is the absolute error expressed as a percentage of the expected value. In other words, relative error takes into account the magnitude of the expected value when calculating the error percentage.