How Do You Calculate Missile Impact in Kinematics Problems?

• Thread starter Watthelol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, Maverick in an F-14 is chasing a Russian MiG-28 at a constant velocity of 509 km/hr and 592 km/hr respectively. He fires an air-to-air missile when the separation distance is 848 m, which accelerates at 135 m/s2. The MiG will travel a distance before exploding, and Maverick will be a certain distance away from the explosion. The missile will also be in the air for a certain amount of time before hitting the MiG at a certain speed. The actual answers cannot be provided due to forum rules, and it is important to show your work to identify where you may have made a mistake.
Watthelol

Homework Statement

Maverick in an F-14 is moving at a constant velocity of 509 km/hr. He is chasing a "bogey," also known as a Russian MiG-28 (at least, in the movie they were - there's no such thing as a MiG-28), which is moving with a constant velocity of 592 km/hr in the same direction. Maverick can see that he's getting away, so he fires an air-to-air missile hanging from the wing of his aircraft when the separation distance is 848 m. The missile accelerates at 135 m/s2.

By the way, if you don't know what movie this is from, you deserve to be thrown in the gulag.
A. How far does the MiG travel before it explodes in a greasy Commie fireball?
B. How far from the explosion is Maverick?
C. How long was the missile in the air?
D. How fast was the missile going when it hit the MiG?

For some reason, I keep getting it wrong, and I have no idea why. Can someone help me with the answer? Can someone tell me the actual answer and then I can try to work to see how to get there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've done so far. That way we can see where you are going wrong.

"greasy commie fireball"? Really? Actually, I kinda like the image (sorry to any of my commie friends). You need to post your work so we can see where you lost control. Can't post the answers either--rules (probably made by more commies).

Related to How Do You Calculate Missile Impact in Kinematics Problems?

1. How do I approach a kinematics question?

When solving a kinematics question, it is important to first identify the given information, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, you can use the appropriate kinematics equations to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What are the key equations to know for solving kinematics problems?

The key equations for solving kinematics problems are the equations of motion:

• Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: v = v0 + at
  • Time: t = (v - v0) / a

3. How do I know which equation to use for a specific kinematics problem?

You can determine which equation to use based on the given information and the variable that you are solving for. For example, if you are given initial and final velocities and acceleration, you can use the equation for displacement. If you are given initial and final positions and time, you can use the equation for average velocity.

4. How do I check if my answer is correct for a kinematics problem?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and making sure that both sides of the equation are equal. You can also use common sense and reasoning to see if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems include using the wrong equation, forgetting units, and not paying attention to the direction of motion. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for the given variables.