How Do You Calculate Light Intensity After Passing Through Water?

• Thread starter dobbinatrix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intensity
A, which would result in a number less than 1 and make more sense in this context.In summary, to calculate the intensity of a 10000 lux light source traveling through 3.3 cm of water, one can use the equation I=Ioe-A, where I is the intensity, Io is the initial intensity, and A is the absorbance calculated by multiplying the water attenuation coefficient by the depth. The water attenuation coefficient used in this case was 0.23222. However, this equation can also be simplified to I=Io*10^-A. It is important to note that using a negative value for A will result in a number less than 1, which makes more sense in this
dobbinatrix
I need to calculate the intensity of a 10000 lux light source traveling through 3.3 cm of water.

I have attempted to solve this using the equation I=Ioe-A where i is the intensity, Io is the initial intensity, A is the absorbance calculated as the water attenuation coefficient times the depth, using the water attenuation coefficient of 0.23222 (this could be wrong?)

This equation can be simplified into I=Io*10^-A
however when i plug my numbers into this i seem to get I=10000*9.9 which means that the intensity has increased tenfold in 3cm of water.
Somthing tells me I am wrong...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

P.S. thanks to ehild for last response

Physics news on Phys.org
How could you get a number greater than 1 as the result for 10^(-A) (A>0)?

ehild

Related to How Do You Calculate Light Intensity After Passing Through Water?

1. How is intensity measured?

Intensity is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²). This is the amount of energy that passes through a given area in a second.

2. What factors affect the intensity of a wave?

The intensity of a wave is affected by the amplitude, wavelength, and frequency of the wave. It also depends on the distance from the source and any obstacles or medium the wave travels through.

3. How do you calculate intensity from amplitude?

To calculate intensity from amplitude, you can use the formula: I = (A^2 * ρ * ω^2 * v) / (2 * μ), where I is intensity, A is amplitude, ρ is the density of the medium, ω is the angular frequency, v is the wave velocity, and μ is the medium's permeability.

4. What is the relationship between intensity and distance from the source?

The intensity of a wave decreases as you move farther away from the source. This is because the energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower intensity.

5. How is intensity related to sound and light?

In sound waves, intensity is related to the loudness of the sound. In light waves, intensity is related to the brightness. Both are determined by the amplitude of the wave. The higher the amplitude, the higher the intensity and the louder or brighter the wave will be.