How Do You Calculate Invariant Mass in Particle Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with detecting particles in a proof-of-concept data analysis. The solution involves assuming a specific decay and calculating the energies and invariant mass of the particles involved. The advice is given to refer to a textbook for further understanding.
v0id19

Homework Statement

so I'm doing some proof-of-concept data analysis this summer and I've never taken a relativistic mechanics class and I'm a bit stuck. i need to figure out if there was a rho0 decay to pi+/pi- in some hypothetical 900GeV collision data. If there is, there should be a spike on the histogram i make right around its invariant mass (all the technical stuff and programmy bits i know I've done right).
the information i have:
- momentum of particles
- charge of particles

Homework Equations

Minv2 = E2 - p2

The Attempt at a Solution

i was told to calculate the energy sqrt(m2 + p2) for all particles assuming they had the mass of a pion.
then i calculated the invariant mass: M2=(Epi+ + Epi-)2 - (ppi+ + ppi-)2
i should get a spike in my histogram at the mass of the rho (about 770 MeV). But i get the spike roughly from 1500-3500MeV.
it seems when looking at my formulas there is some circular derivation going on, but I'm not sure.

if anyone could give me some advice that would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the basic problems with particle physics is you can detect a particle, but you have no idea what particle it actually is. The momenta you have could be from a pion, or it could be some other charged particle.

So you start by assuming that there is a decay [itex]\rho^0\to\pi^+\pi^-[/itex]. The momenta you have should therefore be the pions', so you can calculate their energies and ultimately the invariant mass of the [itex]\rho^0[/itex]. The fact that you don't see a spike at the mass of the [itex]\rho^0[/itex] suggests your assumption is wrong, that you are not, in fact, seeing that decay.

You should check out Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles. There's an excellent chapter on special relativity, and it's a great book from which to learn the basics of particle physics.

Related to How Do You Calculate Invariant Mass in Particle Physics?

1. What is basic invariant mass calculation?

Basic invariant mass calculation is a mathematical method used in physics to determine the total mass of a system of particles. It involves measuring the energy and momentum of each individual particle and using those values to calculate the invariant mass of the entire system.

2. Why is basic invariant mass calculation important?

Basic invariant mass calculation is important because it allows scientists to accurately determine the mass of particles, which is crucial for understanding the fundamental properties and interactions of matter. It is also used in particle physics experiments to identify and study new particles.

3. How is basic invariant mass calculated?

Basic invariant mass is calculated using the equation E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2, where E is the energy, p is the momentum, and m is the rest mass of the particle. This equation is based on Einstein's famous mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc^2.

4. What are the units of basic invariant mass?

The units of basic invariant mass are typically given in energy units, such as electron volts (eV) or joules (J). This is because the equation used to calculate invariant mass involves energy and momentum, which have the same units.

5. Can basic invariant mass be negative?

Yes, basic invariant mass can be negative. This can occur when the energy and momentum of a system are such that the square of the energy is less than the square of the mass. In this case, the mass is considered to be an imaginary number, which is represented by a negative value.