How Do You Calculate Initial Vertical Velocity?

In summary, the projectile launched from a catapult went up in the air 1 meter and landed 5 meters from the catapult. Using the equations for vf2 = Vo2 + 2ay, the vertical velocity at impact is 4.43m/s.
jubbly

Homework Statement

Distance - 5m
height 1m

Homework Equations

vf^2=Vo^2+2ay

The Attempt at a Solution

I know vf^2 = 0, and I'm trying to find vo^2, and I also know y is the height so that would be 1m, is a 9.8?

If It is I would get this 0=vo^2+19.6. and to find vo^2 I would take the square root of 19.6 and get 4.43.

So my Vo = 4.43,
what equation would I plug to find the vertical velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question would be nice, not just two values.

What's this distance? Are we talking a ballistic trajectory question?

Jared

jarednjames said:
The question would be nice, not just two values.

What's this distance? Are we talking a ballistic trajectory question?

Jared

Oh, sorry!
Find the vertical velocity of a projectile launched from a catapult. The projectile landed 5 meters from the catapult and went up in the air 1 meter.

Ok, which vertical velocity?

I'd assume it's the final velocity on impact.

As such, using vf2 = Vo2 + 2ay

You know Vo = 0 (it's at the peak of the launch and so it has stopped moving vertically), a = 9.81 and y = 1.

This will give you the final velocity vertically at impact. Can you take it from there?

Jared

So Vo=4.43, and would I need to find the time?
At this part I'm confused as to what to do to find the vertical velocity.
Is there a formula I would have to use to find it?

I gave you Vo in my previous post. That is the initial velocity - at the peak height (before the fall begins) Vo = 0m/s.

Vf is the final velocity. You literally plug the values into the equation to get the answer.

Why would you need the time or is this part of the question?

Jared

Ah I see, you want the initial velocity on launch.

In which case the vertical velocity is 4.43m/s.

Just replace Vo = 0 with Vf = 0.

Jared

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Vertical Velocity?

What is vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity is the rate of change of an object's vertical position over time. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

How is vertical velocity calculated?

Vertical velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in vertical position by the change in time. The formula for vertical velocity is v = ∆y/∆t, where v is the vertical velocity, ∆y is the change in vertical position, and ∆t is the change in time.

What factors affect vertical velocity?

The factors that affect vertical velocity include the initial vertical velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. The mass and shape of the object can also have an impact on its vertical velocity.

How does vertical velocity differ from horizontal velocity?

Vertical velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's vertical position, while horizontal velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's horizontal position. Vertical velocity is affected by gravity, while horizontal velocity is affected by factors such as air resistance and friction.

Why is knowing vertical velocity important?

Knowing the vertical velocity of an object is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It can help predict the trajectory of a projectile, determine the maximum height an object can reach, and calculate the necessary force to achieve a desired vertical velocity.