How Do You Calculate Forces on a Parked Car on an Incline?

• Thread starter xiaoren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physic
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the normal force and static frictional force acting on a Toyota Vios parked on a road that rises 15° above the horizontal. The first part (a) has been solved by the student, but they are unsure how to solve part (b) without the coefficient of friction. The conversation also mentions drawing a free-body diagram and the possibility of needing the acceleration of the car.
xiaoren
A Toyota Vios (m = 1700 kg) is parked on a road that rises 15° above the horizontal. What are the magnitudes of (a) the normal force and (b) the static frictional force that the ground exerts on the tires?

Physics news on Phys.org
A problem like this starts with you, the student, drawing a free-body diagram, showing all forces acting on the object.

i have solve the part a... but i dun know the part b... please show me plaeseeee

Show your calculation of the part (a).

friction is normal force times the coefficient

the part a is 1700(9.81)cos15=16108.7N
but the coefficient of stataic is not given...how i can solve the problem for part b

Draw the free-body diagram. You won't need the coefficient of friction for this.

Also, what is the acceleration of the car?

Related to How Do You Calculate Forces on a Parked Car on an Incline?

1. How do I approach solving a physics problem?

Solving a physics problem involves breaking it down into smaller parts, identifying known and unknown variables, and using relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to double check your units and ensure they are consistent throughout the problem.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the information you have. Try to identify any patterns or relationships between the known and unknown variables. You can also ask a classmate or teacher for help, or look for similar examples online.

3. How do I know which equations to use to solve a physics problem?

In order to choose the correct equation for a physics problem, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, and consider what principles or concepts are relevant. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or create a visual representation of the problem to better understand the relationships between variables.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics problem include using the wrong units, not double checking your calculations, and not properly labeling your variables. It is also important to understand the concepts behind the equations you are using, rather than just memorizing them.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This can include working through practice problems, participating in class discussions and activities, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles in physics.