How Do You Calculate Forces in Truss Members IK, JL, and JM?

In summary, the problem involves determining the forces in members IK, JL, and JM of a barrel vault truss loaded as shown. After creating a free body diagram and applying the equations for sum of x-components and sum of y-components, the first unknown is solved for. The next step is to cut a section through the truss and use the method of joints to solve for IK. This results in 3 unknowns and 3 equations, making the problem solvable. The reference angle may also be needed to solve the problem.
ttiger2k7
[PLEASE HELP!] Forces in members of a truss

Homework Statement

A barrel vault truss is loaded as shown. Knowing that the length of the bottom chords DF, FH, ..., and QS is 3 ft, determine the force is members IK, JL, and JM.

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4817/fyjfhjfgjhfghgx8.jpg

Homework Equations

Sum of y-components
[tex]\sum F_{x} = 0[/tex]

x-components
[tex]\sum F_{y} = 0[/tex]

Moment
[tex]\sum M = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did a free body diagram of the entire truss, which gave me three unknowns tosolve for first.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9493/fyjfhjfgjhfgh1ur3.jpg

[tex]\sum F_{x} = 0:[/tex]
[tex]A_{x} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{y} = 0:[/tex]
[tex]A_{x} = (1+1.5+1.5+1+1.5+1.5+1) = A_{y} + V_{y}[/tex]
[tex] 9 kips = A_{y} + V_{y} [/tex] ---- (1)

Solving for Moment about A
[tex]\sum M_{a} = 0:[/tex]
[tex]V_{y} (18) = (1.5)(3) + (1.5)(6) + (1)(9) + (1.5)(12) + (1.5)(15) + (1)(18) =[/tex]
[tex]V_{y} = 4.5 kips [/tex] ----- (2)

Then plugging equation (2) into equation (1) I get
[tex]A_{y} = 4.5[/tex]

Then I get stuck. I know I need to pass a section through the truss so I can get two portions, with each including the desired members I am solving for. Then I just draw a FBD and solve for no more than three unknowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You can get IK pretty quick using the method of joints. Beyond that, I don't like that roller support at the bottom corner. Nonetheless, try then cutting a section from IK through JM.

Last edited:

have you considered this.. do you know the reference angle?(i know it, i think you know it too)
Once you figure out IK, and you cut through as PhanthomJay says, you now have 3 unknowns and 3 equations..in other words, solvable.

Attachments

• IK.JPG
    IK.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 454

help... anyone can help to settle this problem?

Related to How Do You Calculate Forces in Truss Members IK, JL, and JM?

What is a truss?

A truss is a type of structural framework commonly used in engineering and architecture. It is made up of interconnected members, typically in a triangular pattern, to distribute weight and support loads.

What are forces in a truss?

Forces in a truss refer to the external loads and internal forces acting on the truss structure. These forces include tension, compression, and shear, and they play a crucial role in determining the stability and strength of the truss.

How do forces affect members of a truss?

Forces can cause stress and strain on the members of a truss, which can result in deformation or failure of the structure. If the forces acting on the truss are within its load-bearing capacity, the members will remain stable and the truss will maintain its shape. However, if the forces exceed the truss's capacity, the members may buckle or break.

How are forces calculated in a truss?

Calculating forces in a truss involves using principles of statics and mechanics to determine the internal forces acting on each member. This can be done through methods such as the method of joints or the method of sections, which involve analyzing the equilibrium of forces at different points in the truss.

What factors can affect the forces in a truss?

The forces in a truss can be affected by various factors, including the type and magnitude of the external loads, the material properties of the members, and the geometry of the truss. The design and construction of the truss also play a crucial role in determining the forces and ensuring the stability and safety of the structure.