How Do You Calculate Forces in a Multi-Block System with Friction?

In summary, the problem involves three identical blocks being pushed across a table at constant speed by a hand. The mass of each block is 2.5kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the blocks and the table is 0.20. The blocks are moving at 0.50 m/s and are divided into two systems: system A, which consists of a stack of two blocks, and system B, which consists of a single block. The hand pushes horizontally and there is a weight force pointing down and a normal force pointing up for both systems. The normal force in the y direction for system A is 50N and for system B is 25N. The total force is zero as there is no acceleration. The problem
MP2491
Three identical blocks are pushed across a table at constant speed. The hand pushes horizontally. Let the stack of two blocks be system A and the single block be system B. Now suppose the mass of each block is 2.5kg, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the bottom surfaces of the blocks and the table is 0.20, and the blocks are moving at 0.50 m/s. Determine the magnitude of each force.

So for the first step I drew a FBD for both systems. For system A there is a Normal force pointing to the right, and Normal force and Kinetic Friction force to the left. There is also a Normal force pointing up and a weight force pointing down. For system B there is a Normal force pointing to the right and a Friction force to the left. There is also a Normal force pointing up and a Weight force pointing down.

I was able to find that the weight for system A is 50N and the weight for system B is 25N. Normal force pointing up for system A is also 50N and for system B is 25N.

I know the total force is zero because there is no acceleration but I am having trouble figuring out how to find the Normal force. I know I need to use F=ma and Fk=coefficient of friction x Normal force.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you called the force from the hand "normal force". That is confusing. There is nothing horizontal that would be called "normal force" here.

Did you calculate Fk? How does the horizontal force balance look like?Edit@SammyS: The bold part looks like the full problem statement, probably minus a sketch showing two blocks being pushed and one block being pushed.

Last edited:
MP2491 said:
Three identical blocks are pushed across a table at constant speed. The hand pushes horizontally. Let the stack of two blocks be system A and the single block be system B. Now suppose the mass of each block is 2.5kg, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the bottom surfaces of the blocks and the table is 0.20, and the blocks are moving at 0.50 m/s. Determine the magnitude of each force.

So for the first step I drew a FBD for both systems. For system A there is a Normal force pointing to the right, and Normal force and Kinetic Friction force to the left. There is also a Normal force pointing up and a weight force pointing down. For system B there is a Normal force pointing to the right and a Friction force to the left. There is also a Normal force pointing up and a Weight force pointing down.

I was able to find that the weight for system A is 50N and the weight for system B is 25N. Normal force pointing up for system A is also 50N and for system B is 25N.

I know the total force is zero because there is no acceleration but I am having trouble figuring out how to find the Normal force. I know I need to use F=ma and Fk=coefficient of friction x Normal force.
Hello MP2491. Welcome to PH !

Is this a problem that you have been given to solve? If so, please state the complete problem as it was given to you. That will help us in guiding you to discover the solution.

mfb said:
I guess you called the force from the hand "normal force". That is confusing. There is nothing horizontal that would be called "normal force" here.

Did you calculate Fk? How does the horizontal force balance look like?Edit@SammyS: The bold part looks like the full problem statement, probably minus a sketch showing two blocks being pushed and one block being pushed.

No I have not calculated Fk because I figured i need the Normal force in order to do that.

SammyS said:
Hello MP2491. Welcome to PH !

Is this a problem that you have been given to solve? If so, please state the complete problem as it was given to you. That will help us in guiding you to discover the solution.

I have stated the complete problem as it was given to me.

MP2491 said:
No I have not calculated Fk because I figured i need the Normal force in order to do that.
You do have the normal force:
MP2491 said:
Normal force pointing up for system A is also 50N and for system B is 25N.

mfb said:
You do have the normal force:

I have the normal force in the y direction. I have the normal force of the table on the system but I am looking for the normal force in the x direction. The normal force of the hand on system A, normal force of system B on A, and the normal force of system A on B. These three are the ones that I am looking for.

MP2491 said:
I have the normal force in the y direction. I have the normal force of the table on the system but I am looking for the normal force in the x direction. The normal force of the hand on system A, normal force of system B on A, and the normal force of system A on B. These three are the ones that I am looking for.
So, now we find that system A and system B are in contact and apparently the hand pushes directly on system A.

None of this was mentioned before. Do you have a figure to accompany this problem?

How is the upper block connected to the lower block in system A?

Related to How Do You Calculate Forces in a Multi-Block System with Friction?

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between forces and the motion of objects. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The second law relates the net force on an object to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do forces interact with each other?

Forces can interact in several ways. Two forces acting in the same direction can be added together to determine the net force. If two forces are acting in opposite directions, the net force is the difference between the two forces. Forces can also cancel each other out if they are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a scalar quantity and is measured in kilograms, while weight is a vector quantity and is measured in newtons.

How do Newton's Laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws are applicable to many everyday scenarios. For example, the first law explains why objects on a moving vehicle will continue to move forward even when the vehicle stops suddenly. The second law can be seen when a heavier object requires more force to push or lift compared to a lighter object. The third law can be observed when a swimmer pushes against the water to move forward, and the water pushes back with an equal and opposite force.