How do you calculate force when lifting a barbell and holding it statically?

• Thread starter waynexk8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force when lifting a 91kg barbell for a certain distance and time, as well as holding it statically for a period of time. The force used is equal to the weight of the barbell, which is 892 Newtons. The concept of power is also mentioned, with more power being generated when work is done more quickly. However, holding a barbell statically does not require any work to be done, so the force remains constant. The conversation also touches on the physiological aspect of holding something for a long time, where the muscles must continuously apply the same force.
waynexk8
Calculating force ?

I am trying to work out the force used on lifting a 91kg barbell for .5 of a second for 1.85M. And holding a 91kg barbell statically for 5 seconds.

Below is my attempt ?
To determine the force we will need to figure out what the weight of the barbell is (W = mg = 91 kg x 9.81 m/s² = 892 kg.m/s² or 892 Newtons).

Now, if work is equal to Force x distance then, U = 892 N x 1.85 m = 1650 Nm. 1 Newton meter “Nm” is equal to 1 joule, hence 1 joule is the work done when a force of 1 N moves through a distance of 1m in the same direction as the force.

As no distance is used on the static hold, the force used is 892N ?

The concept of power however, takes time into consideration. If for example, it took four seconds to complete the lift, then the power generated is 1650 J divided 4 s = 412.5 J/s. If on the other hand it only took 2 seconds to complete the lift, then the power generated is 1650 J divided 2 s = 825 J/s. Hence, the person who can lift the barbell in two seconds is more powerful than the one who lifted the barbell in four seconds.

So while the work done remains constant, more power is developed when mechanical work is done more quickly. Indeed, power can be thought of as how quickly or slowly work is done.

Thus for the person holding the barbell statically for 5 seconds we need to divided 892N by 5 = 178.4 Joules

However BY lifting the same 91kg for 1.85m in .5 of a second, first you x 892 N x 1.85 m = 1650 Nm, then divided 1650 by .5 = 3300 joules per second.

Wayne

Physics news on Phys.org

As no distance is used on the static hold, the force used is 892N ?

Thus for the person holding the barbell statically for 5 seconds we need to divided 892N by 5 = 178.4 Joules.

Looking back at the above two points, I must be wrong. As it must take more something to hold the weight static for 5 seconds to 1. Surely it take more force and energy ? But it can not take more power {work} as its a static hold.

Wayne

waynexk8 said:
Thus for the person holding the barbell statically for 5 seconds we need to divided 892N by 5 = 178.4 Joules

As far as I see, everything is correct, except for the above.

As you said:
work is equal to Force x distance

Therefore the work done by holding a barbell statically for 5 seconds is 892 x 0 = 0

Hold it statically for 30 seconds...892 x 0 is still 0

Holding a barbell in place requires just about the same force as leaving it on the floor. No work is being done. You can leave it for 5 seconds, or for a million years...work is going to be 0, and power is going to be 0.

Lsos said:
As far as I see, everything is correct, except for the above.

As you said:
work is equal to Force x distance

Therefore the work done by holding a barbell statically for 5 seconds is 892 x 0 = 0

Hold it statically for 30 seconds...892 x 0 is still 0

Holding a barbell in place requires just about the same force as leaving it on the floor. No work is being done. You can leave it for 5 seconds, or for a million years...work is going to be 0, and power is going to be 0.

Hi Lsos, and thanks for your answer.

However what I would really like to know is how much the force the static hold will produce for the 5 seconds ? Would I maybe x the 892 ? Which would then be = 4460, as to hold a weight for longer must produce/take more force/strength ?

I think the above x the 892 is wrong, but I am just putting porkers in the fire.

Wayne

Are you clear on what you are asking? The force necessary to hold an object at a given height is its weight. For an object with mass 91 kg, that weight is 91g= 91(9.8)= 98 Newtons, approximately. And that is constant- it doesn't change over time so It makes no sense to say "how much the force the static hold will produce for the 5 seconds". It does NOT take more force to hold something for a longer time. That's why you can set something on a table for as long as you please.

(Physiological note: If you are holding something out in front of you, your arm muscles have to keep applying that same 982 N force. That's why you get tired, not because it requires more force.)

HallsofIvy said:
Are you clear on what you are asking? The force necessary to hold an object at a given height is its weight. For an object with mass 91 kg, that weight is 91g= 91(9.8)= 98 Newtons, approximately. And that is constant- it doesn't change over time so It makes no sense to say "how much the force the static hold will produce for the 5 seconds". It does NOT take more force to hold something for a longer time. That's why you can set something on a table for as long as you please.

(Physiological note: If you are holding something out in front of you, your arm muscles have to keep applying that same 982 N force. That's why you get tired, not because it requires more force.)

Hi HallsofIvy,

Hmm, see what you are saying, however it must take more of something to hold a static out for the different seconds? Like strength/energy, as power the rate at which work is performed or energy is converted.

Is there not some way in physics that could/should be able to work this out please ?

Wayne

editor said:
In physics the definition of force requires motion. In particular it requires acceleration.

When you lift a weight you accelerate it upwards, then you might have a period of constant speed, then a static hold.

The acceleration period has additive acceleration. The amount you are accelerating the weight plus the acceleration of gravity.

Then the constant speed (if any) has the acceleration of gravity only.

The static hold has no force. The weight you feel will strain your body, but no work is done.

Look at it this way. (The physics way) try to push over a brick wall. No motion occurs, , no work is done.

This is the concept of equal but opposite force. The wall pushes back at you, but doesn't move. You will sweat and eventually feel pooped. I have no idea how you calculate the personal energy you have put into the effort. I doubt that there is a way.

Force = mass x acceleration.

Work = force x distance.

Power = Work/time

Lifting a weight adds to its potential energy WRT the ground.

So if its potential energy at ground level is zero, the potential energy at height h is mgh. This equals force x distance. = work.

Hi all,

And thanks for the above.

I now find that it seems you cannot compute what I asked. I just thought there would be some way ?

Wayne,

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. When the lift involves a displacement, the performance can, as you described, be quantified by the work that was done by the muscles or the power that was produced. When the task does not involve a displacement, the performance can be expressed as the impulse (F x t), which is a reasonable estimate of the energy required to hold the position of the weight against gravity. However, there it is not possible to compare the magnitudes of work (or power) and impulse for the two tasks.

I hope this helps.

Roger M. Enoka, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Integrative Physiology
University of Colorado

Wayne

Related to How do you calculate force when lifting a barbell and holding it statically?

1. How do you calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying mass (m) by acceleration (a). The formula for force is F = m x a. The unit of force is Newtons (N).

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in Newtons (N).

3. How is force related to motion?

Force is responsible for causing a change in the motion of an object. If an object experiences a net force, it will accelerate in the direction of the force. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration.

4. Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. A negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if a force of -10N is applied in the negative x-direction, it means that the force is acting to the left.

5. How does the direction of force affect an object?

The direction of force determines the direction of motion of an object. If the force acts in the same direction as the object's motion, it will increase the speed of the object. If the force acts in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed of the object. If the force acts perpendicular to the direction of motion, it will change the direction of motion.