How Do You Calculate Error in Density for a Cylinder?

In summary, the density of a cylinder can be calculated using the mass, diameter, and height of the cylinder. The error in the density can be determined using the product rule, where the error is divided by the value of the measurement. Covenant College in Georgia uses a linear addition method for adding errors, which may be more pessimistic compared to other methods.
subopolois

Homework Statement

The density of a cylinder is calculated from the following data:

mass m= (9.1±1.1)g , diameter d = (2.8±0.2) cm , and height H= (4.1±0.6) cm.

The error on the density, before rounding, is ( in g /cm3 )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, well, I have the impression Subo wasn't able to finish his/her post ? There is no question and there are no equations, nor is there an attempt at solution. All very much against PF rules ! Subo: read the guidelines once more, please !

Apart from this rant, I post because I want to know if Subo is used to add errors linearly or quadratically. Covenant in Georgia sticks to linear addition which is very pessimistic. They also have to wriggle to make plausible that it does help to take more measurements and then average, in spite of their pessimistic rule 1.

Related to How Do You Calculate Error in Density for a Cylinder?

1. What is the formula for calculating error on density?

The formula for calculating error on density is: error = (absolute error in mass / mass) + (absolute error in volume / volume)

2. How do I determine the absolute error in mass and volume?

To determine the absolute error in mass, subtract the measured mass from the accepted or true mass. To determine the absolute error in volume, subtract the measured volume from the accepted or true volume.

3. Can I use percentage error to calculate error on density?

Yes, you can use percentage error to calculate error on density by multiplying the calculated error by 100%.

4. Why is it important to calculate error on density?

Calculating error on density helps to determine the accuracy of your measurements and the precision of your equipment. It also allows for comparisons between different experiments or measurements.

5. How can I reduce error on density calculations?

To reduce error on density calculations, it is important to use precise and accurate measuring equipment, repeat measurements multiple times, and take care to minimize any sources of error, such as air bubbles in the sample or parallax errors in reading instruments.