How Do You Calculate Equivalent Resistance in a Complex Circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit given R and using the equations for series and parallel resistors. The discussion includes strategies for simplifying the circuit and visualizing the parallel and series paths.
oreosama

Homework Statement

Hi, this was an extra credit problem on a test I had that I think I remember correctly

bq8tJdX.png

Given R find R equivilent of the circuit

Homework Equations

Series R1, R2 = R1 + R2
parallel R1, R2 = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Never encountered a resistor in an awkward spot as the middle is, so I tried saying this:

since the upper path to Vb is an open wire it has Vo and the bottom path much match. To do this the voltage across these two must be 0 so we can just ignore them. From there you just have a parallel set left so

1/R + 1/2R = 3/2R -> 2R/3 = Req

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi oreosama. From the left end of that 2R resistor, I see two parallel paths to get to point b.

ive always understood parallel/series as a visual type thing. youre saying 1/R + 1/3R = 4/3R -> 3R/4 ? I Have no idea what this does to the circuit, as in where this combined resistor would be.. relative to the middle one still standing

I suggest that you redraw the circuit, drawing that middle resistor so this its symbol, too, is horizontal. Then connect the ends so electrically the circuit is identical with what you are given. Now, tidy it up so it looks like a neat circuit.

You might need to do this a couple of times, before you see how it simplifies.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your extra credit problem with me. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations for series and parallel resistors. Your approach to the problem is correct, and your solution of Req = 2R/3 is also correct. However, I would suggest showing your work step by step to make your solution clearer. Also, it might be helpful to label the resistors in the circuit so that it is easier to follow your solution.

In terms of the awkwardly placed resistor, it is important to remember that the voltage drop across a resistor in series is the same, so you can treat it as part of the overall resistance in the parallel set. I hope this helps and keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to How Do You Calculate Equivalent Resistance in a Complex Circuit?

1. What is a resistance circuit problem?

A resistance circuit problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the total resistance in a circuit made up of multiple resistors. This is important in understanding how electricity flows through a circuit and how to properly design and troubleshoot electrical systems.

2. How do you calculate total resistance in a circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit, you need to use Ohm's law (V = IR) and the formula for resistors in series (Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3...). You can also use the formula for resistors in parallel (1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...) to calculate the total resistance in parallel circuits.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current is divided between them. This affects how the total resistance is calculated and how the components behave in the circuit.

4. How do you troubleshoot a resistance circuit problem?

To troubleshoot a resistance circuit problem, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance at different points in the circuit. This can help identify any faulty components or incorrect connections. You can also use circuit diagrams and equations to analyze the circuit and pinpoint any potential issues.

5. Why is understanding resistance circuits important?

Understanding resistance circuits is important for designing and maintaining electrical systems, such as those used in homes, cars, and electronic devices. It also helps in troubleshooting issues and ensuring the safe and efficient flow of electricity. Additionally, understanding resistance can lead to advancements in technology and the development of new electrical systems.