How Do You Calculate Electrostatic Force Between Charges?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the magnitude of the resultant electrical force on a charge of 1.0 × 10−9 C located at x = 0.55 m between two positive point charges with a charge of 1.5 × 10−9 C located at y = +0.50 m and y = −0.50 m. The Coulomb constant of 8.98755 × 10^9 N · m2/C2 was also mentioned. The correct method for solving the problem was explained, taking into account the direction of the force and the distance between the charges. The question of the speed of electrostatic interaction in free space and the messenger particle was also raised.
BoldKnight399
Two positive point charges, each of which
has a charge of 1.5 × 10−9 C, are located at
y = +0.50 m and y = −0.50 m.
The Coulomb constant is 8.98755 ×
10^9 N · m2/C2.
a) Find the magnitude of the resultant elec-
trical force on a charge of 1.0×10−9 C located
at x = 0.55 m.
Answer in units of N.

So I drew out a force diagram and thought that the equation would be:
Fel=kc(Q1*q/d1^2)+kc(Q2*q/d2^2) where the q is the 1.0e-9C charge.
Fel=(8.98755e9)(1.5e-9*1.0e-9/.0025)+(8.98755e9)(1.5e-9*1.0e-9/1.1025)
so Fel=5.404757e-6

Apparently that was the wrong answer. Does anybody know or want to explain how I should now re-examine the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force from each charge is a vector. You have to add them like vectors, not numbers--the direction matters. Hint: What happens to the y-components?

Also: What's the distance between the charges?

yeah...I missed the fact that q was on the x axis. makes sense now. Thank you for your help!

I have a question about the operation of the electrostatic force. I solved the Maxwell's equations in a pure static electric conditions and the result I got does not look like a wave equation. If that is the case, then what is the speed of electrostatic interaction in free space? And what is the messenger particle?

Your approach to the problem is correct, but there may be a mistake in your calculation. The correct answer should be:

Fel = (8.98755e9)(1.5e-9*1.0e-9/(0.55^2+0.5^2)) = 4.9431e-6 N

This is because the distance between the charge at x = 0.55 m and the charge at y = +0.50 m is not 0.0025 m but the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides 0.55 m and 0.50 m.

Also, make sure to use the correct units for the distance, which should be in meters. So it should be:

Fel = (8.98755e9)(1.5e-9*1.0e-9/(0.55^2+0.5^2)(0.01^2)) = 4.9431e-6 N

I hope this helps!

Related to How Do You Calculate Electrostatic Force Between Charges?

1. What is an electrostatic force diagram?

An electrostatic force diagram is a visual representation of the forces between two or more charged particles. It shows the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the particles.

2. How is an electrostatic force diagram created?

An electrostatic force diagram is created by first determining the charges of the particles involved and the distance between them. Then, using the Coulomb's law equation, the magnitude of the force between each pair of particles is calculated. Finally, arrows are drawn to represent the direction of the forces and their lengths are scaled according to the magnitude of the force.

3. What types of charges are shown in an electrostatic force diagram?

An electrostatic force diagram can show both positive and negative charges. Positive charges are represented by a plus sign (+) and negative charges are represented by a minus sign (-).

4. What does the distance between particles in an electrostatic force diagram represent?

The distance between particles in an electrostatic force diagram represents the distance between the charges in the real world. The farther apart the charges are, the weaker the force between them will be.

5. Can an electrostatic force diagram be used to predict the motion of charged particles?

Yes, an electrostatic force diagram can be used to predict the motion of charged particles. The direction of the force shown in the diagram indicates the direction that the particle will move in. However, other factors such as the mass and initial velocity of the particle also play a role in its motion.