How Do You Calculate Electric Potential and Field Components of a Dipole?

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the electric potential at an arbitrary point for an electric dipole with charges +Q and -Q at positions a and -*a along the z axis. The potential was expressed in terms of r and θ in spherical coordinates and simplified in the limit r>>a. The equipotential surfaces associated with the dipole were also drawn and the radial component Er and theta component Eθ of the electric field were determined using the potential. The limit was taken using a binomial approximation and the resulting expression involved the dipole moment magnitude p. The gradient in spherical coordinates was used to find the components of the electric field.
Lancelot59
Given the following problem:

An electric dipole has charge +Q at position a and charge –Q at position -*a along the z axis.

a. Calculate the electric potential at an arbitrary point. Choose the arbitrary constant so at V=0 at infinity. Express the result in terms of r and θ (radius and polar angle with respect to z axis in spherical coordinates).

b. Simplify your result in the limit r>>a, being sure to keep the leading non-*trivial term. Write it in terms of the dipole moment magnitude p =2aQ.

c. Draw the equipotential surfaces associated with the dipole.

d. Determine the radial component Er of the electric field by taking the appropriate derivative of the potential. Check that your result makes sense.

e. Bonus: find the theta component Eθ of the electric field from the potential.

I started with A.
For Q
[tex](x,y)=(Rcos(\theta)-a,Rsin(\theta))[/tex]
[tex]r=\sqrt{R^{2}-2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}[/tex]

For -Q
[tex](x,y)=(Rcos(\theta+a),Rsin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]r=\sqrt{R^{2}+2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}[/tex]

In total:
[tex]V=k(\frac{Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}-2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}}+\frac{-Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}+2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}})[/tex]
I think this is correct.

Now to take the limit where r>>a I think it would end up looking like this:
[tex]V=k(\frac{Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}-2Rcos(\theta)}}+\frac{-Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}+2Rcos(\theta)}})[/tex]
Since the contribution of a is negligible at that point. I do not however understand what they mean by expressing it in terms of the dipole moment magnitude.

As for finding Er and Eθ I think all I need to do is:
[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Have I made any mistakes anywhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lancelot59 said:
Given the following problem:

An electric dipole has charge +Q at position a and charge –Q at position -*a along the z axis.

a. Calculate the electric potential at an arbitrary point. Choose the arbitrary constant so at V=0 at infinity. Express the result in terms of r and θ (radius and polar angle with respect to z axis in spherical coordinates).

b. Simplify your result in the limit r>>a, being sure to keep the leading non-*trivial term. Write it in terms of the dipole moment magnitude p =2aQ.

c. Draw the equipotential surfaces associated with the dipole.

d. Determine the radial component Er of the electric field by taking the appropriate derivative of the potential. Check that your result makes sense.

e. Bonus: find the theta component Eθ of the electric field from the potential.

I started with A.
For Q
[tex](x,y)=(Rcos(\theta-a),Rsin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]r=\sqrt{R^{2}-2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}[/tex]

For -Q
[tex](x,y)=(Rcos(\theta+a),Rsin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]r=\sqrt{R^{2}+2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}[/tex]
Your work is kind of sloppy. First, you should proofread what you post and fix obvious mistakes. Second, be consistent with the notation. Don't use R to stand for what the problem statement refers to as r and then use r for something else. Finally, the problem gave you a coordinate system to use. Your (x,y) notation is confusing at best and incorrect as worst.
In total:
[tex]V=k(\frac{Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}-2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}}+\frac{-Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}+2aRcos(\theta)+a^{2}}})[/tex]
I think this is correct.
Looks okay.
Now to take the limit where r>>a I think it would end up looking like this:
[tex]V=k(\frac{Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}-2Rcos(\theta)}}+\frac{-Q}{\sqrt{R^{2}+2Rcos(\theta)}})[/tex]
Since the contribution of a is negligible at that point. I do not however understand what they mean by expressing it in terms of the dipole moment magnitude.
No, that's not correct. You can't simply erase all instances of a. For one thing, your expression no longer makes sense. You can't add a term with units of length squared to a term with units of length. Second, you can't simply erase factors because doing so isn't mathematically valid.

What you want to do is this instead:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2-2aR\cos(\theta)+a^2}}
= \left\{R^2\left[1-2\left(\frac{a}{R}\right)\cos\theta + \left(\frac{a}{R}\right)^2\right]\right\}^{-1/2}
= \frac{1}{R}\left\{1-\left(\frac{a}{R}\right)\left[2\cos\theta + \left(\frac{a}{R}\right)\right]\right\}^{-1/2}[/tex]and then use the binomial expansion to expand the square root. Note that when [itex]a \ll R[/itex], you have [itex]a/R \ll 1[/itex] so the series will converge quickly.
As for finding Er and Eθ I think all I need to do is:
[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Have I made any mistakes anywhere?
Look up the gradient in spherical coordinates. Note that your expression for Eθ wouldn't have the correct units for the electric field.

Last edited:
Hi Lancelot59,

Although some of your intermediate expressions don't make sense (you can't have an expression like "[itex]\theta+a[/itex]" because [itex]\theta[/itex] is in radians and [itex]a[/itex] is in meters), I do concur with your expression for [itex]V(r,\theta)[/itex]. (In the notation I'm used to, your constant [itex]k=1/(4 \pi \epsilon_0)[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] is the permittivity of free space). Subsequently neglecting the [itex]a^2[/itex] terms in the square roots is indeed the first step in the approximation, although you seem to have forgotten a factor [itex]a[/itex] in the process.

The next step is to apply a binomial approximation. Write [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2\mp 2 R a \cos(\theta)}}=\frac{1}{R}\left(1 \mp \frac{2 a \cos(\theta)}{R}\right)^{-1/2} \approx \frac{1}{R}\left(1 \pm \frac{a \cos(\theta)}{R}\right),[/tex] where in the last step I have used the approximation [tex](1+x)^n \approx 1+n x,\qquad x \ll 1.[/tex] Inserting this into your equation leads to [tex]V(r) \approx \frac{k p \cos(\theta)}{R^2},[/tex] where [itex]p[/itex] is the dipole moment you defined in the question.

As for your subsequent question on how to determine the field, the [itex]\theta[/itex]-component of the field is given by [tex]\frac{1}{R} \frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta}[/tex] with a factor [itex]1/R[/itex]. (Again, it can be seen that without that factor the units would not make sense). This has to do with the fact that the gradient in spherical coordinates is not obtained by the same procedure as the gradient in Cartesian coordinates.

Finally, I would recommend you to check out H.D. Griffiths, Introduction to Electrodynamics , Example 3.10. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Kurt

Last edited:
Sorry, that wasn't supposed to read theta-a. I misplaced the parenthesis. I'll go over this again, and post again if I have any more confusion. Thanks!

Your approach for part A looks correct. However, when taking the limit r>>a, it should be noted that the term a^2 in the denominator can also be considered negligible and can be ignored. This will simplify the expression to:
V = k(Q/r - Qcos(theta)/r)

For part B, the dipole moment magnitude is defined as p = 2aQ. So, you can rewrite the expression for V in terms of p as:
V = k(pcos(theta)/r^2)

For part C, the equipotential surfaces for a dipole would be a series of concentric circles around the dipole axis, with the potential decreasing as you move further away from the dipole.

For part D, you are correct in taking the derivative of V with respect to r to find Er. This will give you:
Er = -k(pcos(theta)/r^3)

For part E, you can use the same approach to find Etheta by taking the derivative of V with respect to theta. This will give you:
Etheta = -k(psin(theta)/r^2)

Overall, your approach looks correct, but be sure to double check your calculations and take into account any simplifications that can be made in certain limits.

Related to How Do You Calculate Electric Potential and Field Components of a Dipole?

1. What is an electric potential problem?

An electric potential problem is a type of problem in physics that involves calculating the electric potential (measured in volts) at various points in space, given a specific distribution of electric charges. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effect on charged particles.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

While electric field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle, electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the work required to move a unit of charge from one point to another in an electric field.

3. What is the equation for calculating electric potential?

The equation for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. This equation is used for point charges, and for more complex distributions of charges, the potential is calculated by summing the contributions from each individual charge.

4. How is electric potential affected by the presence of multiple charges?

The electric potential at a point is affected by the presence of multiple charges by superposition. This means that the potential at a given point is the sum of the potentials due to each individual charge. If the charges are of the same sign, the potential will be higher, and if they are of opposite signs, the potential will be lower.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric potential problems?

Electric potential problems have many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, they are used in the design and operation of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. They are also used in the calculation of the voltage in a circuit, which is important in determining the flow of current and the power consumption. Additionally, electric potential problems are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of lightning strikes and the potential dangers associated with them.