How Do You Calculate Displacement and Speed in Excel for a Motorboat Journey?

In summary, a motorboat travels for 20 minutes at 20 miles/hour in a direction 15 degrees East of North, then for 35 minutes at 25 miles/hour in a direction 20 degrees South of West. The total displacement after 55 minutes is 21.23 miles at a direction of 18.4 degrees. The total distance traveled is unknown. The average velocity and average speed are also unknown. Further calculations and equations are needed to determine these values.
swingkids
I have to do this problem using Microsoft Excel.

A motorboat leaves the dock and travels in a direction 15 degrees East of North for 20 minutes at a constant speed of 20 miles/hour. At that point the boat abruptly changes its direction to 20 degrees South of West and its speed to 25 miles/hour and continues on that new course for 35 minutes. Assuming that the lake is still, calculate the answers to the following questions:
(a) What is the boat's displacement (magnitude and direction) after 55 minutes?
(b) What is the total distance traveled by the boat?
(c) What is the boat's average velocity (magnitude and direction) after 55 minutes?
(d) What is the boat's average speed after 55 minutes?

First leg: (15 degrees East of North)
Time ? minutes
Speed ? miles/hr
Magnitude of displacement #1 ? miles

Second leg: (20 degrees South of West)
Time ? minutes
Speed ? miles/hr
Magnitude of displacement #2 ? miles

Choose the +x coordinate as East and the +y coordinate as North.
Find the x and y components of the two displacement vectors.
x-comp. y-comp.
displacement #1 ? ?
displacement #2 ? ?
total displacement ? ?
magnitude direction
total displacement ? ?
total distance travelled ?
average velocity ? ?
average speed ?

Obviously each area with a ? needs data or an equation filled in there. If some people can guide me through this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess what I don't understand in the first part is, they want the magnitude of displacement 1. That'd just be d=tv, but t is in minutes, and v is in miles/hr, and you're supposed to keep the answer in miles/hr. When I enter the formula into the "Magnitude of displacement #1 ? miles" part, should I just enter =(11/12)*B16? 11/12 would be the 55 minutes as a fraction of 1 hour, and the B16 is just the cell where the 20 miles/hr is.

*Edit: neglect this. I was using the 11/12 incorrectly, I meant 1/3 in the first part*

Last edited:
Here's what I got so far

First leg: (15 degrees East of North)
Time 20 minutes
Speed 20 miles/hr
Magnitude of displacement #1 6.6666667 miles

Second leg: (20 degrees South of West)
Time 35 minutes
Speed 25 miles/hr
Magnitude of displacement #2 14.58333333 miles

Choose the +x coordinate as East and the +y coordinate as North.
Find the x and y components of the two displacement vectors.

x-comp, y-comp
displacement #1: 6.44, 1.73
displacement #2: 13.70, 4.99
total displacement: 20.14, 6.71
magnitude
total displacement: 21.23

"total displacement: 21.23"

Then to get the direction, I took the inverse tangent of (6.71/20.14) and got 18.4 degrees.

Can anyone verify what I have so far?

Now how should I go about the total distance, average velocity, and average speed?

bump, come on

Related to How Do You Calculate Displacement and Speed in Excel for a Motorboat Journey?

What is a vector in Excel?

A vector in Excel is a mathematical term used to describe a one-dimensional array of data. In Excel, a vector is typically represented as a column or row of numbers, which can be used for calculations or data analysis.

How do I create a vector in Excel?

To create a vector in Excel, you can simply enter the data in a single column or row. Alternatively, you can use the "Fill" function to generate a sequence of numbers. To do this, enter the first number in the series, then select the cell and drag the fill handle to the desired number of cells to generate the vector.

What is the difference between a row vector and a column vector in Excel?

A row vector is a vector that is arranged horizontally, with data entered in a single row. A column vector, on the other hand, is arranged vertically, with data entered in a single column. In Excel, the difference between the two types of vectors is primarily in how they are used for calculations and data analysis.

How do I perform calculations with vectors in Excel?

To perform calculations with vectors in Excel, you can use built-in functions such as SUM, AVERAGE, and DOTPRODUCT. These functions allow you to perform mathematical operations on a group of numbers, which can be used to analyze data or solve equations.

Can I plot a vector in Excel?

Yes, you can plot a vector in Excel by creating a scatter plot or line graph. To do this, select the data for the vector and choose the appropriate chart type from the "Insert" tab. You can also customize the appearance of the plot by adjusting the axis labels, titles, and other options.