How Do You Calculate Cross Section for Early Universe Reactions?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating a cross section for a reaction in the early universe and the known result for it. The calculation involves a numerical density of neutrinos, a scattering amplitude, and a neutron's mean lifetime. The known result is in the form of a fraction with a variable x representing the difference in mass between a neutron and proton. The speaker is asking for help in reaching the known result.
Davide82
Hi.

I am looking for some help calculating a cross section to derive the frequency of reaction in the early universe.

The reaction taking place is:
[tex]\nu_e + n \longleftrightarrow p + e^-[/tex]

After some calculation I came here:

[tex]
n_\nu \langle \sigma v \rangle = \frac {(2\pi)} {8 m^2} \int \frac {d \vec p_\nu} {(2\pi)^3 \, 2 p_\nu} \int \frac {d \vec p_e} {(2\pi)^3 \, 2 p_e} \cdot e^{-(p_\nu)/(k T)} \cdot \delta (p_\nu + m_n - m_p -p_e) \, |\mathcal{M} |^2
[/tex]

[tex]n_\nu \text{ is the numerical density of neutrinos}[/tex]

[tex]|\mathcal{M}|^2 = 32 \, G_\mathrm{F}^2 (1 + 3 \, g_\mathrm{A}^2) \, m_p^2 \, p_\nu \, p_e[/tex]

I know the passages up until here are pretty much correct.

But I can't get to the known result:
[tex]n_\nu \langle \sigma v \rangle = \frac {255} {2 \tau_\mathrm n x^5} (12+6x+x^2)[/tex]

[tex]\tau_\mathrm n \text{ is the neutron's mean lifetime}[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac {\Delta m}{T}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
\text{ where } \Delta m = m_n - m_p Can anyone help me with the steps to get to the known result?Thank you!

Related to How Do You Calculate Cross Section for Early Universe Reactions?

1. What is a cross section in scientific calculations?

A cross section is a numerical value that represents the probability of a certain physical process occurring between two particles. It is typically used in particle physics and nuclear physics to describe the interactions between particles.

2. How is a cross section calculated?

A cross section is calculated by taking the ratio of the number of events observed to the number of particles in the target area. This can be done through various experimental methods and mathematical calculations.

3. What units are used to measure cross section?

Cross section is typically measured in units of area, such as square meters (m^2) or barns (10^-28 m^2). However, depending on the specific calculation, other units such as energy or momentum may also be used.

4. Can cross section values vary?

Yes, cross section values can vary depending on a number of factors such as the energy and type of particles involved, the materials and conditions of the target area, and the specific physical process being studied. Thus, cross section values are often given as a range rather than a single value.

5. What is the significance of cross section in scientific research?

Cross section is a fundamental quantity in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. It allows scientists to make predictions about the likelihood of certain physical processes occurring, and is crucial in the development of theories and models in particle physics and nuclear physics.