How Do You Calculate Conditional Probability Using a Probability Tree?

In summary, the person is struggling with probability and is looking for help with a question from their textbook. They provide the given information and ask for someone to suggest a good book on probability. They later update that they have figured out the solution on their own.
hasnain721
conditional probability help please

Homework Statement

Hi there,
I am doing s1 for this jan and i am finding it very difficult to cope up. Especially for probability. I have a cgp buk but stil its not very gud at probability. Here is a question from my text buk which i cud not understand : -

Two events A and B are such that P(A) = 3/4 , P(B l A) = 1/5 and P(B' l A') = 4/7. By use of a probability tree or other wise find :

a) P(A and B)

b) P(B)

c) P(A l B)

In addition, can some 1 suggest a gud buk for probability please.

Homework Equations

P(B l A) = P(A intersection B) / P(A)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 'a' right by multiplying 3/4 by 1/5

Plz reply
Thanks
Hasnain Mir Mohammed

Physics news on Phys.org
i hav worked it out now...thanks.

I can understand that probability can be a challenging concept to grasp, especially for those who are new to it. It's great that you are seeking help and trying to understand it better.

To solve this problem, you can use the formula for conditional probability: P(B|A) = P(A and B)/P(A). In this case, you already know P(A) and P(B|A), so you can rearrange the formula to solve for P(A and B).

a) P(A and B) = P(B|A) * P(A) = (1/5) * (3/4) = 3/20

b) To find P(B), you can use the formula P(B) = 1 - P(B'), where B' represents the complement of B. In this case, P(B') = P(B'|A') * P(A') = (4/7) * (1/4) = 1/7. Therefore, P(B) = 1 - 1/7 = 6/7.

c) P(A|B) = P(A and B)/P(B) = (3/20)/(6/7) = 7/40

As for a good book on probability, I would recommend "Introduction to Probability" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis. It is a widely used textbook in many universities and provides a thorough and clear explanation of probability concepts. Additionally, you can also try practicing more problems and seeking help from your teacher or peers if you still have difficulty understanding certain concepts. Best of luck with your studies!

Related to How Do You Calculate Conditional Probability Using a Probability Tree?

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is a statistical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It represents the probability of event A happening, given that event B has already happened.

How do you calculate conditional probability?

Conditional probability can be calculated using the formula P(A|B) = P(A∩B) / P(B), where P(A|B) is the probability of event A occurring given that event B has occurred, P(A∩B) is the probability of both events A and B occurring, and P(B) is the probability of event B occurring.

What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probability?

Unconditional probability, also known as marginal probability, is the likelihood of an event occurring without any other conditions or factors being taken into account. On the other hand, conditional probability takes into account a specific condition or event that has already occurred when calculating the probability of another event happening.

How is conditional probability used in real life?

Conditional probability is used in a variety of fields, including medicine, finance, and insurance. For example, conditional probability can help doctors assess the likelihood of a patient having a certain disease given their symptoms, or insurance companies can use it to calculate the probability of a person making a claim based on their age and other factors.

What are some common misconceptions about conditional probability?

One common misconception about conditional probability is that it is always affected by the order of the events. However, the order does not matter as long as the conditions remain the same. Another misconception is that conditional probability always results in a higher probability than the unconditional probability, but this is not always the case.