How Do You Calculate Charge and Current Change Rate in LC Circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding information on LC circuits and solving equations related to LC circuits. It also provides an example of finding the charge on a capacitor in an LC circuit with given values for energy and capacitance. The conversation also mentions the lack of information on LC circuits in the book and suggests looking at the differential equations for a series LC circuit for help.
dwn
I'm having a difficult time finding any information in regards to LC circuits.

The total energy in an circuit is 5.0*10^-6 J. If C= 15 microfarads, what is the charge
on the capacitor? the ans is 12 microC

An circuit has an inductance of 15 mH and a capacitance of 10 µF. At one instant
the charge on the capacitor is 25 µC. At that instant the current is changing at what rate?

ans : 170 A/s

Again, I am unable to find the formula/information to solve these equations. Can someone please tell me what I am missing. I know the inductance equations (RLC) , but I don't see any in our book that contain just LC.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwn said:
I'm having a difficult time finding any information in regards to LC circuits.

The total energy in an circuit is 5.0*10^-6 J. If C= 15 microfarads, what is the charge
on the capacitor? the ans is 12 microC

What is the equation for the energy stored on a capacitor in terms of the capacitance and voltage?

dwn said:
An circuit has an inductance of 15 mH and a capacitance of 10 µF. At one instant
the charge on the capacitor is 25 µC. At that instant the current is changing at what rate?

ans : 170 A/s

Again, I am unable to find the formula/information to solve these equations. Can someone please tell me what I am missing. I know the inductance equations (RLC) , but I don't see any in our book that contain just LC.

Thank you.

Write the differential equations for a series LC circuit. Does that help you to get to the answer?

Related to How Do You Calculate Charge and Current Change Rate in LC Circuits?

1. How do you solve an LC circuit equation?

To solve an LC circuit equation, you must first determine the values of the inductance (L) and capacitance (C) in the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's laws to write out the differential equation that describes the behavior of the circuit. Finally, use techniques such as substitution or Laplace transforms to solve for the current or voltage in the circuit.

2. What is an LC circuit and why is it important?

An LC circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel or in series. It is important because it can store energy and exhibit oscillatory behavior, making it useful in applications such as oscillators, filters, and voltage regulators.

3. What are the applications of solving LC circuit equations?

Solving LC circuit equations has various applications in electronics and electrical engineering. It is used to design and analyze circuits such as filters, oscillators, and resonant circuits. It is also important in understanding the behavior of power grids, radio transmitters, and other electronic devices.

4. What are some common challenges when solving LC circuit equations?

One common challenge when solving LC circuit equations is dealing with non-ideal components, such as resistance in the inductor or leakage in the capacitor. These can significantly affect the behavior of the circuit and require additional calculations. Another challenge is determining initial conditions, which can be difficult when the circuit is not at steady state.

5. Are there any limitations to solving LC circuit equations?

While LC circuit equations are a useful tool for analyzing electronic circuits, they have some limitations. They assume ideal components and do not take into account factors such as parasitic capacitance and inductance. They also do not account for nonlinear behavior in components, which can significantly affect the accuracy of the results.