How Do You Calculate Centripetal Acceleration and Friction for a Car on a Curve?

In summary, to find the centripetal acceleration of a 13500 N car traveling at 50.0 km/h around a curve of radius 2.00x10^2 m, you must first calculate the mass of the car by dividing the weight by the acceleration of gravity. Then, use the equation Fc=mv^2/r to find the centripetal force. Finally, use the equation Fc=mus*Fn to find the minimum coefficient of static friction needed for the car to safely round the curve.
chamonix

Homework Statement

A 13500 N car traveling at 50.0 km/h rounds a curve of radius 2.00x10^2 m. Find the following:
a). The centripetal acceleration of the car.
b). The force that maintains centripetal acceleration
c). the minmum coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road that will allow the car to round the curve safely.

Homework Equations

a). ac=vt^2/r
b) i think i would use: Fc=mvt^2/r but I am unsure.
c) i do not know this equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a). I have: 14^2/200=0.965
for b). I know the answer is 1.33x10^3 but I am still having difficulties trying to solve this.
for c) I know the answer is 0.0985 but I still have to figure out b). first. Please help me, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) is correct
does the 13500 N car refer to its mass?

I think so...the question just states "a 13500 N car..." so I was thinking that F=ma so mass=13500/.965=13989.6. But I'm not for sure.

chamonix said:
I think so...the question just states "a 13500 N car..." so I was thinking that F=ma so mass=13500/.965=13989.6. But I'm not for sure.

13500 N is the weight of the car, in other words the gravitational force on it. To find the mass of the car, divide the weight by the acceleration of gravity, mass= 13500N/9.80m/s^2

Then multiply this mass by v^2 to find the centripetal acceleration

So the mass came out to be...1376.15 kg. Then I used the Fc=mv^2/r equation and got: 1348.63.
Then I use the equation Fc=mus*Fn. 1.34x10^3/9.8*1376.15=.0985.

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate Centripetal Acceleration and Friction for a Car on a Curve?

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it is moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include the rotation of a car's tires while turning, the motion of a rollercoaster on a loop, and the circular motion of planets around the sun.

What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly related. Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to accelerate towards the center of a circle, and it is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration.

How does centripetal acceleration affect an object's motion?

Centripetal acceleration causes an object to constantly change direction, even if its speed remains constant. This results in circular motion, and the object will continue to move in a circular path as long as the centripetal force is present.