How Do You Calculate Bullet Acceleration in a Rifle Barrel?

• Thread starter tjh855
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, we are given the length of a rifle barrel, the speed of a bullet leaving the muzzle, and the time interval for two problems. Using Newton's equations of motion, we can find the acceleration of the bullet while in the barrel and the average and instantaneous acceleration during the given time intervals.
tjh855

Homework Statement

the barrel of a rifle has a length of 0.916m. a bullet leaves the muzzle of a rifle with a speed of 642 m/s. (note: assume the acceleration in this is constant) what is the acceleration of the bullet while in the barrel? answer is m/s^2

Homework Equations

uhm i assume since I am looking for A i got a=V(final)+V(initial) divided by t

The Attempt at a Solution

uhm what i have goten so far is V(i)= 0m/s? V(f) = 642 m/s and time as .0014267913 ?

i get a wacked number that i know isn't right haha. any help?

also my paper has 2-3 problems like the one I am fixing to explain that I am little confused on.
1. find the average acceleration during the time interval 3s to 6s. answer in m/s^2
so far i got that the velocity is 5m/s from 3 to 6? and i guess T= 3? I am getting it wrong though the site says when i enter my answer.

2.find the instantaneous acceleration at 4 seconds. answer in m/s^2 uhm like earlier the velocity is 5m/s from 3s to 6 s. and i have no clue how to do that with the Acceleration formula my teacher gave me. any help helps

Physics news on Phys.org
What information do we have? We're looking for a. We have Vf = 642. Vi = 0. x = 0.916.

What equation has these four variables in it?

Wouldn't it be better to use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax?

im getting 224980.3493? heh? O_O

3 knows
vi, vf, and x. solve for a.

Using Newton's equations of motion:
vf^2=vi^2+2ax

a = 224,989.3493 m/s^2

Related to How Do You Calculate Bullet Acceleration in a Rifle Barrel?

1. What should I do when I am stuck on a problem?

When you are stuck on a problem, it is important to take a step back and reassess the problem. Try breaking it down into smaller parts or approaching it from a different angle. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

2. How do I know if I am on the right track with my solution?

One way to determine if you are on the right track with your solution is to check your work against the given problem or ask a colleague or mentor for their input. It can also be helpful to explain your thought process and solution to someone else, as it may reveal any flaws or gaps in your thinking.

3. What resources can I use to help me with a difficult problem?

There are many resources available to help you with difficult problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and forums. You can also seek help from a mentor or colleague who has expertise in the subject matter. Additionally, reaching out to your professor or attending office hours can also be beneficial.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and persistence. One way to improve is to regularly work on challenging problems and actively seek feedback on your approach and solutions. It can also be helpful to learn different problem-solving strategies and techniques from books, online resources, or workshops.

5. What should I do if I cannot solve a problem on my own?

If you are unable to solve a problem on your own, don't be afraid to ask for help. Seek assistance from a mentor, colleague, or professor who may be able to offer a different perspective or guide you in the right direction. Collaborating with others can often lead to a breakthrough in solving the problem.