How Do You Calculate Backward Power and Forces in Physics Problems?

In summary: I prefer to solve the problem on my own. So I wanted to give you a hint that would get you going in the right direction, but not give away too much of the solution. I hope you don't find that too annoying. If you do, I apologize.In summary, this conversation involves solving two problems related to calculating acceleration and power in different scenarios. The first problem involves a cyclist accelerating from 12m/s to 20m/s in 6.5 seconds while pushing forward with a force of 150N. The second problem involves a person hanging from a helicopter and calculating the different types of powers used in different scenarios. The expert suggests using the formula F=ma and provides hints on how to solve the problems without
Izekid
A competition-cyclist closing the goal. Towards the end-rush she raises her speed from 12m/s to 20m/s on 6.5s. The Cyclist and the cycles masses are together 70kg. Calculate acceleration The accleration is 1,23 no problem i calculated that but the next question is hard.

The Cyclist pushes forward a power of 150N. How much power is pushing backwards. Which types of powers are there?
How shall i Calculate the power backwards here?

To the second problem...

A person who weights 76,5kg hangs up in a helicopter with a line. Which powers utilizes the person and how big are theses powers.

a) In the beggining when the acceleration is 1,3m/s^2
b)When the speed is constant with 2.0m/s
c)On the top, where the acceleration is -1,3m/s^2

How do i calulate this? My mind stands still... please help me

Thanks
Izekid

Physics news on Phys.org
F = ma, where F is the net force. Is this enough help?

Nope in the cyclist problem you shall calculate with Friciton and Air-resistance.
And the result backwards shall be 64N.

The second problem I resolved by myself :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Because 76,5 * 9,82 = 751,23 N
and 76,5 * 1,3 = 99,45 N = 850,68N =0,85kN
And so on (I forgot to take the gravitionconstant)

But PLZ help me with the cyclist...

As the forces added must result ma:
[tex]F_f + (-F_b) = ma[/tex]
f stands for forward, and b for backward.

Päällikkö said:
F = ma, where F is the net force. Is this enough help?
?
Sorry, I just wonder what kind of help is that?
Izekid said:
The Cyclist pushes forward a power of 150N. How much power is pushing backwards. Which types of powers are there?
How shall i Calculate the power backwards here?
I wouldn't use power here... I'd use force instead.
So you know that the cyclist has an acceleration of 1.23 m /s2. You also know his mass (his own mass, and the bicycle mass), so you will be able to calculate the net force acting on him, right?
Fnet = ma = ...
Then you will have Fnet < 150 N, right?
He's pulling himself forward with a force of 150 N, but the net force on him is less than 150 N, so there must be some force that slow him down, ie it acts in the oposite direction. Can you find the magnitude of that force?

For #2, you seem to forget #c :wink:
The net force for c will be:
Fnet = ma = 1.3m.
Remember that he's decelerating, so the net force will point down (since he's moving upwards).
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
thx that did it

VietDao29 said:
?
Sorry, I just wonder what kind of help is that?
Granted, it wasn't much help. I'd call it more like a reminder. In a problem like this, there isn't mighty lot one can say without solving the problem. I didn't want to give away the answer, as I personally hate being guided too much.

Related to How Do You Calculate Backward Power and Forces in Physics Problems?

What is the purpose of "2 Hard Problems Homework"?

The purpose of "2 Hard Problems Homework" is to challenge students to think critically and problem solve. It allows them to practice applying their knowledge and skills in a more complex and difficult scenario, helping them to develop their problem-solving abilities.

How do I approach "2 Hard Problems Homework"?

Approaching "2 Hard Problems Homework" requires careful analysis of the given problems and breaking them down into smaller, more manageable tasks. It is important to use problem-solving strategies such as trial and error, working backwards, and making a plan to tackle these challenging problems.

What resources can I use to help me with "2 Hard Problems Homework"?

There are many resources available to help with "2 Hard Problems Homework", such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. It is also important to consult with the teacher or professor for guidance and clarification on any confusing parts of the problems.

What skills can I gain from completing "2 Hard Problems Homework"?

Completing "2 Hard Problems Homework" can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also improve time management and organization skills as students work to solve complex problems within a given timeframe.

How do I know if my solution to "2 Hard Problems Homework" is correct?

The best way to determine if your solution is correct is by checking your work and double-checking your calculations and reasoning. You can also compare your solution with classmates or seek feedback from your teacher or professor. Remember, there may be multiple ways to solve a problem, so don't be discouraged if your solution differs from others.