How Do You Calculate Average Speed Over Different Speeds?

In summary, the average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance by the total time. The formula for velocity is v = distance / time, and the dimensions of velocity are distance per time. The conversation also discusses how speed and velocity are related, and provides an example of finding the time given a known speed and distance.
monkeycrazy15
1. We drive a distance of 1 kilometer at 14 km/h. Then we drive an additional distance of 1 kilometer at 30 km/h. What is our average speed?

2. average speed= total distance / total time

3. 22mp/h

Physics news on Phys.org
If your velocity is 14km/h, then if you drove a distance of 14km it would take you 1 hour, as I'm sure you're aware. Thus if you only drove a distance of 1 km . . .

What is the formula for velocity? Think about the dimensions (units) of velocity.

the formula for velocity is

v= distance / time

and i think the 14 km/h is regarding the speed

Yes, you're right. I tend to use velocity as synonymous with speed, which isn't correct. Often it will be negligible, though.

Speed=Distance/Time

Just plug and crank, now.

but i don't know how to find the time

Speed=Distance/Time

If your speed is 14km/h,
and you travel a distance of 1 km,
then the time is ?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I can walk you much farther without giving you the answer, but let me know if this doesn't help and I'll think of another way. =)

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Speed Over Different Speeds?

1. What is average speed without time and how is it different from average speed?

Average speed without time refers to the average rate at which an object moves, without taking into consideration the time it takes to cover a certain distance. This is different from average speed, which is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

2. Can average speed without time be calculated for any type of motion?

Yes, average speed without time can be calculated for any type of motion, whether it is constant, varying, or in multiple directions. It is a measure of the overall speed of an object, regardless of the specific details of its motion.

3. How is average speed without time useful in scientific studies?

Average speed without time is useful in scientific studies as it provides a general understanding of an object's speed, without getting into the specific details of its motion. This can be helpful in analyzing and comparing the overall speed of different objects or systems.

4. Is average speed without time affected by external factors such as air resistance or friction?

No, average speed without time is not affected by external factors such as air resistance or friction. It is a measure of the overall speed of an object and does not take into account any external forces that may affect its motion.

5. How can average speed without time be calculated or measured?

Average speed without time can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by an object by the total time taken. It can also be measured using tools such as speedometers or by using equations that take into account an object's initial and final velocities.