How Do You Calculate Average Speed If You're Given Distance and Time in Minutes?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average speed of a car traveling 30 km in 30 minutes. The formula for average speed is distance divided by time, but the units of distance and time must be consistent. It is determined that the average speed is 1 km/min or 30 km/hour. The conversation also mentions using dimensional analysis to convert units.
Cheesus128
Hey,
This is kinda a thick question but never mind.
A car travels 30KM and that for 30mins.
What is the average speed of the car?Formula is Average speed= Distance Travelled DIVIDED BY Time taken.

But its not 30 DIVIDED by 30 is it?
Is it 30 DIVIDED by 0.5 as 30mins is half of an hour?
And how exactly do you work out say 14mins of 1hour?
(I have the Circle with 3 commas [o,,,] on my calculator, forgot what its called sorry but I don't quiet get how it works.)
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheesus128 said:
But its not 30 DIVIDED by 30 is it?
That depends on the units you wanted. 30 km/30 minutes = 1 km/min
Is it 30 DIVIDED by 0.5 as 30mins is half of an hour?
That's fine. That will give you km/hour as your units of speed.
And how exactly do you work out say 14mins of 1hour?
How many minutes in an hour? Set up a fraction.

Your average speed is DeltaX/Deltat if you want your speed in km/hour you can convert your units using dimensional analysis. (km/min) * (60min/hour)

Thanks Doc. Understood that.
And thanks Melgibson for the answer even though I am sorry to say I understood nothing of what you said. But still thank you for the effort.

Hi there,

To calculate average speed, you are correct that you need to divide the distance traveled by the time taken. In this case, the car traveled 30km in 30 minutes, so the calculation would be 30km / 30 minutes = 1 km/minute.

You are also correct that 30 minutes is half of an hour, so you could also write the time as 0.5 hours. In this case, the calculation would be 30km / 0.5 hours = 60 km/hour.

To calculate a fraction of an hour, like 14 minutes out of 1 hour, you can use the same logic. 14 minutes is 14/60 of an hour, so the calculation would be 30km / (14/60) hours = 128.57 km/hour.

As for the circle with 3 commas on your calculator, it is called a "divide" or "division" symbol. You can use this to divide numbers on your calculator.

I hope this helps clarify how to calculate average speed. Best of luck!

Related to How Do You Calculate Average Speed If You're Given Distance and Time in Minutes?

1. What is average speed and how is it calculated?

Average speed is the measure of the distance an object travels divided by the time it took to travel that distance. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

2. What are the units for average speed?

The units for average speed are distance divided by time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. How do I find the average speed if I have the distance and time data?

To find the average speed, divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. For example, if an object traveled 50 meters in 10 seconds, the average speed would be 50 meters / 10 seconds = 5 meters per second.

4. How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall measure of an object's speed over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account the entire distance and time traveled, while instantaneous speed only considers the speed at a specific point.

5. Can average speed be negative?

Yes, average speed can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if an object travels 10 meters north in 5 seconds, then turns around and travels 10 meters south in another 5 seconds, the average speed would be 0 meters per second since the object ended up in the same position it started. However, the average velocity (which takes into account direction) would be -2 meters per second.