How Do You Calculate Angular Velocity at Maximum Height in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the question asks for the angular velocity of a particle at the point of launch, assuming that only the acceleration of gravity is acting on it.
Draco27

Homework Statement

We need to find angular velocity of a particle from point of launch at its maximum height. Particle is launched at θ angle wrt horizontal. Initial velocity is u. Only acceleration is gravity.

Homework Equations

All projectile equations i suppose ( h(max)=u2sin2/2g , range= u2sin2θ/g etc) and of angular velocity ( v=ωXr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose angular velocity is w° at initial. So, if i could get angular acceleration and then use ω=ω° + αt as at max height, i suppose angular velocity is 0 { same direction of both velocity and distance vectors, so θ = 0°}

some help??

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems easy enough to find θ vs. time given the trajectory, and then to say that ω = dθ/dt, assuming that you know what a derivative is.

yes i know about derivative.

but how do i plot that theta vs time graph??

Draco27 said:
I suppose angular velocity is w° at initial. So, if i could get angular acceleration and then use ω=ω° + αt
That would assume the angular acceleration is constant, which it probably is not.
as at max height, i suppose angular velocity is 0
What do you think the question means by angular velocity? It says "from the point of launch", so I think it means dθ/dt, where θ is the angle it subtends from its current position to the horizontal at the launch point. If so, it won't be zero at max height.
Can you try writing its equations of motion in polar, origin at launch point?

you mean that of trajectory??

if yes, then i know that eqn. But what do i do with that equation??also forget what i attempted. i got it all wrong...

also if i were to find angular acceleration as a function of sth, how would i do that??

Last edited by a moderator:
Draco27 said:
you mean that of trajectory??

if yes, then i know that eqn. But what do i do with that equation??
Then please post your working: equations of motion in Cartesian using the launch point as origin, then converted to polar form.

guys someone please help...

a good person above asked me to post some equations but i have no idea which equations i need to post...if basic projectile equations are required, (that of range and velocity and max height, ) here they arerange =[( u*sin {theta})^2]/2*g

max height= [u^2 *sin[2*theta}]/g

for velocity, we change the vertical component by eqn v=u-gt and take vector sum of horizontal and vertical components...

angular velocity : no idea

angular acceleration : no idea...

By equations of trajectory, I mean the equations that tell you where the particle will be (x and y coordinates, say) at some time t after launch. I'm sure you know such equations, but you have not posted them yet.

you mean this ? y= x*tan[theta] - (x^2)*g/(2*{u^2}*cos^2[theta])

this is independent of time...

in single directions, along horizontal direction s= u*cos{theta}*t

along vertical direction s = u*sin[theta]*t - (g*t^2)/2

Draco27 said:
in single directions, along horizontal direction s= u*cos{theta}*t
along vertical direction s = u*sin[theta]*t - (g*t^2)/2
Good, but to make it clearer, we'll write those as x=, y=...
When at the point (x, y), what is the angle subtended to the horizontal at the launch point?

i think arctan(y/x)

any help??

Can we calculate angular momentum of the particle about the launch point at the highest point? I think in that case to calculate the angular velocity will be easy.

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Velocity at Maximum Height in Projectile Motion?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It can be described as a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Regular motion involves an object moving in a straight line, while projectile motion involves an object moving in a curved trajectory due to the force of gravity acting on it.

3. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, and the force of gravity acting on the object.

4. How can I calculate the maximum height and range of a projectile?

To calculate the maximum height and range of a projectile, you can use the equations h = (v^2*sin^2(theta))/2g and R = (v^2*sin(2*theta))/g, where v is the initial velocity, theta is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can I apply projectile motion in real life?

Projectile motion is commonly used in sports such as basketball, baseball, and golf, where players need to accurately aim and launch objects through the air. It is also used in engineering and physics to understand and predict the motion of objects such as rockets, satellites, and projectiles.