How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration of a Disk?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of tension in each rope, linear acceleration of each mass, and angular acceleration of the disk in a system with a gravitational acceleration of 10 m/s^2 and a moment of inertia of 4 kgm^2. The conversation also involves the use of free-body diagrams and equations to solve for the unknowns.
jonnyboy
[SOLVED] Angular acceleration of disk

For the system below, determine the tension in each rope, the linear acceleration of each mass and the angular acceleration of the disk. [tex]\ g=10 m/s^2[/tex]. Use [tex]\ I=4 kgm^2[/tex].

So far I have drawn the free-body diagram for m1 and m2
[tex]\ 120 - T_1 = 12a_1[/tex] and [tex]\ T_2 - 40 = 4a_2[/tex]
and have figured [tex]\ T_1 - 2T_2 = 4\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\ a_2 = 2\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\ a_1 = \alpha[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonnyboy said:
So far I have drawn the free-body diagram for m1 and m2
[tex]\ 120 - T_1 = 12a_1[/tex] and [tex]\ T_2 - 40 = 4a_2[/tex]
and have figured [tex]\ T_1 - 2T_2 = 4\alpha[/tex]
So far, so good!
[tex]\ a_2 = 2\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\ a_1 = \alpha[/tex]
Excellent. Now use this to rewrite [itex]a_1[/itex] and [itex]a_2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex] in your first two equations. Then you'll have three equations and three unknowns, which you can solve.

Thanks. I've got it from there. Just didn't realize how easy it was once I had that.

Related to How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration of a Disk?

1. What is angular acceleration of a disk?

Angular acceleration of a disk refers to the rate of change of the angular velocity of a disk over time. It is a measure of how quickly the disk is rotating, and is usually measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration of a disk calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a disk?

The angular acceleration of a disk can be affected by several factors, such as the torque applied to the disk, the moment of inertia of the disk, and the distribution of mass on the disk. The presence of friction or air resistance can also affect the angular acceleration.

4. How does angular acceleration relate to rotational motion?

Angular acceleration is a key aspect of rotational motion, as it describes how quickly a rotating object is changing its speed. It is closely related to angular velocity and torque, and is used to calculate the rate of change of an object's rotational motion.

5. Why is understanding angular acceleration important?

Understanding angular acceleration is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it is a fundamental concept in rotational motion. It is used in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, such as turbines and engines, and is also important in understanding the dynamics of planetary motion and other celestial bodies.