How Do You Calculate a Plane's Average Acceleration from Velocity Components?

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving for the average acceleration of a jet plane at an air show. The given velocity components and times were used to find the x and y components of the average acceleration, which were then combined to find the magnitude and direction. The correct values for these calculations were 486.802 km/h^2 and 13.2 degrees south of east, respectively. The conversation also discussed the importance of using the correct units when solving for acceleration, as well as the use of the pythagorean theorem to find the resultant acceleration.
Abarak

Homework Statement

At an air show, a jet plane has velocity components v_x = 625 km/h and v_y = 415 km/h at time 3.85 s and v_x2 = 838 km/h and v_y2 = 365 km/h at time 6.52 }.

2. Questions
Question A.
For this time interval, find the x component of the plane's average acceleration.
{I have already used all of my tries on this one and have moved onto question B}

Question B.
For this time interval, find the y component of the plane's average acceleration.

I tried 81.9 but it says it's wrong. ((415/3.85)+(362/6.52))/2 = 81.9??

Question C.
For this time interval, find the magnitude of its average acceleration.

Question D.
For this time interval, find the direction of its average acceleration.

Please help, I have no idea how to go about solving the above questions. I'm not looking for the answer, just a little guidance.

Thanks,

Abarak

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
first define average acceleration.
then, state the formula for average acceleration explicitly, then plug in the values

can't understand what u are trying here ((415/3.85)+(362/6.52))/2 = 81.9 ?

why divide the speed by time? acceleration is something different.

actually first define acceleration here...

yes:biggrin:

When I enter "-18.73" it tells me it's the wrong answer. That was the last attempt at the question so I need to move on to part C.

In part C I have no idea where to begin as the answer to part B was wrong...

I'm lost...

Abarak

but u forgot the units, ur equation is correct but the value at the end would not be 18,73 because the units do not correspond. one is km/h and the other is seconds

Argh, I caught that on a few other problems. Dang it...

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.

Abarak

can u now do the other two parts? C and D?

Well, I am doing some research on them right now, trying to figure out how I can find the magnitude and direction from the two time's. I did find this list (http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/translations.html) but it seems to just tell how to calculate average acceleration.

I know the velocity is a vector, indicating it has both a magnitude and a direction. Part C is asking to find the magnitude in km/h indicating a straight velocity. I think I know everything to finish part C and D but something is not clicking.

I'm a little lost. Could you possibly point me in the right direction?

After converting my units (_s>_hr) I came up with the following answers:
Part A: 287191.01 km/hr^2
part B: -67415.73 km/hr^2

Last edited:
after u calculate both of the accelerations (ax and ay) use pythagorean theorem to find the resultant acceleration and its direction

Hmmm... let me see if I got this right.

To find the magnitude:
x^2 = (287191.01 _km/_hr^2)^2 + (-67415.73 _km/_hr^2)^2
x = .036172991 _m/_s^2 or -.036172991 _m/_s^2
x = 486.802 _km/_hr^2 or -486.802 _km/_hr^2
Which one should I use? I'm thinking 486.802 _km/_hr^2 because it's (+).

Also, to find the direction I used:
sin(AavgX/AavgY) = sin(287191.01/-67415.73) = -.07 deg.

Are the above correct or am I way off?

x comp of average acc:
((838-625)/3,6)/(6,52-3,85)=22,16 m/s^2 in (+x)

y comp. of average acc.:
((365-415)/3,6)/(6,52-3,85)=5,202 m/s^2 in (-y)

magnitude of average acc.:
sqrt[(22,16^2)+(5,202^2)]=22,76 m/s^2

direction of average acc.:
arccos (22,16/22,76)=13,2 degrees
13,2 degrees S of E

Wow, I do suck at this stuff...

Thanks for all the help and time. Just one little question, when calculating the x and y average acceleration, you used 3.6. Where did this number come from?

Again, thank you for all of your help!

when converting km/h to m/s u divide by 3,6
1 km =1000 m
and 1 h= 3600 sec.
1000/3600=1/3,6

Related to How Do You Calculate a Plane's Average Acceleration from Velocity Components?

1. What is a velocity component?

A velocity component is a vector quantity that represents the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is typically represented by a letter with an arrow on top, such as "v" or "𝑽".

2. How is a velocity component calculated?

A velocity component is calculated using the formula 𝑽 = 𝑑/𝑡, where 𝑽 is the velocity, 𝑑 is the displacement, and 𝑡 is the time. The velocity component can also be calculated by finding the vector sum of the x and y components of the velocity.

3. What is the difference between velocity and velocity component?

Velocity is a vector quantity that represents the rate of change of an object's position over time. Velocity component is a specific type of velocity that represents the motion of an object in a particular direction. Velocity component is a part of velocity and cannot exist without it.

4. How do velocity components affect motion?

Velocity components affect motion by determining the speed and direction of an object's movement. Changes in the velocity component can result in changes in the overall velocity and therefore, the motion of the object.

5. How are velocity components used in physics?

Velocity components are used in physics to analyze the motion of objects and predict their future positions. They are also used to calculate other important quantities such as acceleration, force, and momentum.