How Do You Calculate a Drunk Skunk's Displacement?

In summary, to find the displacement of the skunk from point i to point f, you will need to use vector addition by breaking down each displacement vector into its x and y components and adding them together. To find the x and y components of d2 and d3, you can use the law of cosines and the law of sines. The magnitude and angle of the displacement can then be found using the Pythagorean theorem and the inverse tangent function.
ryant14

Homework Statement

In the figure below shows the path taken by a drunk skunk over a level ground, from initial point i to final point f. The angles are θ1 = 30, θ2 = 50, and θ3= 80, and the distance are d1 = 5.00 m, d2 = 8.00 m, and d3 = 12.0 m. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) angle of the skunk’s displacement from i to f?

[PLAIN]http://sadpanda.us/images/355466-G1WEH29.jpg

Homework Equations

Using basic trigonometric functions, soh cah toa
Let X and Y stands for the summation of x and y.
Resultant vector = (X2 + Y2)1/2
Let * stands for the resultant vector angle, then * = tan-1 = Y / X

The Attempt at a Solution

I have obtained the x and y component for d1. Finding x = (5.00 m)cos30 = 4.33 m and for y, (5.00m)(sin30) = 2.5 m. However, I'm having the difficulty to find the other x and y components of d2 and d3 because they aren't parallel to x and y-axis respectively.

For example, d2 is diagonal and I can't simply do (8.00 m)(cos 50) to find the x component because d2 is not parallel to x axis. Hence, connecting d1 and d2 will not form a right triangle which is necessary to find the x and y components using soh cah toa..

Please give me an idea how to solve this..

Thank you..:smile:

PS. If the image link above doesn't work, pls. see the copy of this question in the attached file herein..

Attachments

• Vector.doc
    79.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

To solve this problem, you will need to use vector addition to find the overall displacement of the skunk from point i to point f. This involves breaking each displacement vector (d1, d2, and d3) into its x and y components, and then adding them together.

To find the x and y components of d2, you can use the law of cosines to find the angle between d1 and d2, and then use the law of sines to find the length of the component of d2 that is parallel to the x-axis. Similarly, you can use the law of cosines to find the angle between d2 and d3, and then use the law of sines to find the length of the component of d3 that is parallel to the y-axis.

Once you have all the x and y components, you can add them together to find the overall displacement. The magnitude of the displacement can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, and the angle can be found using the inverse tangent function.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your calculations.
Scientist

Related to How Do You Calculate a Drunk Skunk's Displacement?

1. What is a resultant vector?

A resultant vector is the single vector that represents the combination of two or more individual vectors. It is the net effect or overall direction and magnitude of the vectors.

2. How do you find the resultant vector?

To find the resultant vector, you need to add or subtract the individual vectors using vector addition or subtraction rules. This will give you a new vector with a direction and magnitude that represents the resultant vector.

3. What is the difference between vector addition and subtraction?

Vector addition is used when two or more vectors are acting in the same direction, while vector subtraction is used when two vectors are acting in opposite directions. In vector subtraction, the second vector is flipped in direction before being added to the first vector.

4. Can the magnitude of the resultant vector be greater than the individual vectors?

Yes, the magnitude of the resultant vector can be greater than the individual vectors if they are acting in the same direction. However, if the individual vectors are acting in opposite directions, the magnitude of the resultant vector can be smaller or even zero.

5. What is the significance of finding the resultant vector?

Finding the resultant vector is important in physics and engineering as it helps in determining the overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object. It is also used in navigation and in solving problems related to displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object.