How Do You Build a kWh Meter for a School Robotics Project?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to build a kwh meter for a school robotic project. The suggested method is to measure the voltage and current draw to calculate instantaneous power consumption. For cumulative energy usage, it is recommended to use a PC with ADC's or a PC card. The meter works by using a revolving disk with slots and a light emitter and detector to measure the number of rotations and calculate the amount of electricity used. The more electricity used, the faster the disk rotates.
Gyrobug
How to build a kwh meter??

I would like to seek some information on how to build a kwh meter to check the power consumption for my school robotic project? Please tell me what are the components that are required to build one?

Thank you.

Regards,
Gyro

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume you can get by with knowing instantaneous power consumption? If so, then measure the voltage and current draw, their product is instantaneous power.

If you really want cumulative energy usage, I suggest sampling voltage and current again but with two DVM's connected to a PC, or getting a PC card with ADC's on it. Your PC will multiply to get instantaneous power, and integrate the samples continuously to give you cumulative energy.

Within the case is a revolving disk which in turn rotates a series of numbers or dials. The disk rotates as electric current passes through the meter to measure the exact amount of kilowatts used. The speed varies depending on how much electricity you are using in your house. The more electricity you use, the faster the rotation.
http://www.rp-l.com/meters.htm#How%20Meters%20Work

Power companies measure how many times the disk turns in any given hour. The disk has slots with a light emitter on one side and a detector on the other side(used when they want to telemeter the data to their office). If the disk has 10 slots and each rotation represents say 1kw, you will get a 10 pulses, each representing 100watt. So if they get say 25 pulses in this hour, you've used 2.5kwh of power.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. You guys been very helpful.

Cheers,
Gyro

Related to How Do You Build a kWh Meter for a School Robotics Project?

1. How does a kWh meter work?

A kWh meter, also known as an energy meter, measures the amount of energy consumed by an electrical device or system. It works by measuring the flow of electricity through a circuit and multiplying it by the voltage to calculate the total energy usage in kilowatt-hours (kWh).

2. What components are needed to build a kWh meter?

The basic components needed to build a kWh meter include a current transformer, voltage transformer, microcontroller, LCD display, and a shunt resistor. Other components may be added depending on the specific design and features of the meter.

3. Can I build a kWh meter on my own?

Yes, it is possible to build a kWh meter on your own with the right knowledge, skills, and equipment. However, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional or follow a detailed guide to ensure accuracy and safety.

4. How accurate are DIY kWh meters?

The accuracy of a DIY kWh meter depends on various factors such as the quality of components, calibration, and design. With proper construction and calibration, a DIY kWh meter can have an accuracy of around 1-2%, which is suitable for most household applications.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a kWh meter?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a kWh meter as it involves working with electricity. This includes wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following all safety protocols. It is also recommended to seek the help of a professional or an experienced individual for guidance.