How Do You Apply Power Series to Evaluate Functions and Estimate Errors?

The error can be estimated by looking at the third term in the sum which would be (1/3!)(x^{6})=x^{6}/6.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm having trouble with a few homework problems, so here are the problems and my thoughts.

Homework Statement

Use the power series to evaluate the function
[tex] f(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^4}}-cos(x^2)[/tex]
at x=0.01. Use the first two terms in the series to approximate the function, but estimate the error introduced by truncating the series.

The attempt at a solution
My main problem with this question is that it appears the function is equal to zero at, and in the neighborhood of, x=0. Also, the values of all the derivatives of the function are zero at x=0, so my power series expansion looks like this: f(x)=0. Am I missing something here, or is this really a "trick" question?

2. Homework Statement
Find a two term approximation and an error bound for the integral
[tex]\int_0^t e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
in the interval 0<t<0.1

The attempt at a solution
I'm not sure how to start this one...should I treat the integrand as the function or is the integral included? If the function is just the integrand, I don't see any problems. However, if the integral is included in the function then how would I proceed?

Any thoughts or hints you all could provide would be most appreciated. This HW is due tomorrow so quick replies are welcome!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
The first function is in first two aproximations always zero.
For the second i would suggest
[tex]\int_0^t e^{-x^2}dx = 0.5\int e^{-s}s^{-1/2}ds[/tex]
then approximate [tex]e^{-s}[/tex] which would lead to
[tex]0.5\int \sum_0^\infty((-1)^n (1/n!)s^{n})s^{-1/2}ds[/tex]
which can be easily integrated

michalll said:
The first function is in first two aproximations always zero.
For the second i would suggest
[tex]\int_0^t e^{-x^2}dx = 0.5\int e^{-s}s^{-1/2}ds[/tex]
then approximate [tex]e^{-s}[/tex] which would lead to
[tex]0.5\int \sum_0^\infty((-1)^n (1/n!)s^{n})s^{-1/2}ds[/tex]
which can be easily integrated

What formula did you use to convert the integral? Also, are the limits of integration the same? Where does the two term approximation come in? Is estimating the error in the expansion of the e-fcn enough?

I used McLaurin formula for [tex]e^x[/tex]. The limits aren't the same but you can get back to x after integrating. The two term approximations means you use only two first terms in the sum. The sum is alternating so the error won't be greater than the absolute value of the third term in this case.

how would i go about switching back to x after the following:

[tex]0.5\int (1-s)s^{-1/2}ds=-\frac{\sqrt{s}}{3}(s-3)[/tex]

The substitution used was [tex]s=x^{2}[/tex]

Related to How Do You Apply Power Series to Evaluate Functions and Estimate Errors?

1. What are some common examples of power series applications in real life?

Power series are used to model a wide range of phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and statistics. Some common examples include modeling the growth of populations, predicting stock market trends, and estimating the trajectory of projectiles.

2. How are power series used in calculus?

In calculus, power series are used to approximate functions with polynomials. This allows for easier computation of integrals, derivatives, and other operations. Power series also help in finding the radius and interval of convergence of a function.

3. Can power series be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, power series can be used to solve certain types of differential equations. By representing a function as a power series, one can use this representation to find the coefficients and ultimately solve the differential equation.

4. What is the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series refers to the values for which the series will converge, or approach a finite value. The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series will no longer converge.

5. How are power series used in signal and image processing?

Power series are used in signal and image processing to approximate and analyze signals and images. By representing signals and images as power series, one can apply various operations such as filtering, compression, and noise reduction to improve the quality of the signal or image.