How Do You Add a New Diode Model in LTspice?

In summary, the speaker is designing a full-wave bridge rectifier regulated by a Zener and needs to simulate it on LTspice before purchasing components. They are having trouble finding information about the 1N4004 diode, specifically its saturation current, and are wondering if there are any LTspice models or better datasheets available. The speaker has found a model for the diode on the manufacturer's website but still needs to find a 5.1 V Zener.
xcvxcvvc
EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! I found a model on a website of the manufacturer! Next, I need to hunt down this 5.1 V Zener.

Hey. I'm designing a full-wave bridge rectifier regulated by a Zener, and on of the project requirements is an LTspice simulation(not to mention it's a good place to start before buying components and building the rectifier).

I've been searching and reading tons of data sheets, but I cannot find much about the 1N4004 diode. For example, none of the datasheets I found show saturation current. Is there a place with LTspice models for popular diodes, or a place with better data sheets?

From what I can find, my model looks like this(where empty means nothing found yet):
.model D1N4004 D (Is= Rs= N= Tt= Cjo=15p Vj= M= Eg= Xti= Kf= Af= Fc= Bv=400 Ibv=5.00u Tnom= Isr= Nr= Ikf= Tikf= Trs1= Trs2=)

I know many of these variables are useless for my analysis, but some like Is just seem important and fundamental.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! I found a model on a website of the manufacturer! Next, I need to hunt down this 5.1 V Zener.

Related to How Do You Add a New Diode Model in LTspice?

1. How do I add a new diode in LTspice?

In LTspice, you can add a new diode by selecting the "diode" option from the component library or by right-clicking on the schematic and selecting "Place" and then "Diode". You can also use the keyboard shortcut "D" to add a diode.

2. How do I specify the properties of the new diode in LTspice?

After adding the diode to the schematic, you can double-click on it to open the "Edit Properties" window. Here, you can specify the model name, parameters, and other properties of the diode. You can also right-click on the diode and select "Edit Model" to directly edit the model file.

3. Can I use a custom diode model in LTspice?

Yes, you can use a custom diode model in LTspice by creating a new model file or by modifying an existing one. You can then specify the model name and parameters in the "Edit Properties" window of the diode.

4. How do I simulate the behavior of the new diode in LTspice?

To simulate the behavior of the new diode, you need to create a circuit that includes the diode and other necessary components. You can then run a simulation and analyze the results to understand the behavior of the diode.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with the new diode in LTspice?

If you encounter any issues with the new diode in LTspice, you can check the model parameters and properties to ensure they are correctly specified. You can also use the "DC Operating Point" analysis to verify the diode's operating point and troubleshoot any issues. Additionally, you can refer to LTspice's user manual or online forums for further assistance.