How Do X-Rays Become Visible on Medical Imaging?

• Thread starter Stylewriter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    X-ray
In summary, X-rays are created by accelerating electrons and can be used to see through objects based on their atomic number. They are commonly used in medicine and industrial applications for imaging and detection. The resulting images are produced by the differential absorption of X-rays by different materials.
Stylewriter
Hey!
Of course you can help me! :) I need some information about HOW TO MAKE X-RAY VISIBLE. I know that it depends on the atomic number, but I need it more specific, do you know where I can get some information about my problem?
I don't want you to write an essay for me, but I really need some help, where I can find some useful texts!
Thank you very much :)

Science news on Phys.org
er..what?

What do X-rays have to do with atomic numbers?

Could you be a bit clearer in your meaning?

One way is with a scintillator. Here's an interesting thread on the subject.

Fluoroscopy

Not sure what you're looking for, but do a Google on "Fluoroscopy". You'll find plenty of info on that technique which allows one to view x-rays by having them hit a fluorescent screen.

Another way is by letting the X-rays fall onto a photosensitive film, before developing and fixing the film. This is how medical X-rays are taken.

You can accelerate away from the x-ray source. At some appreciable fraction of C, the X-rays will begin to be visible to the unaided eye.

wow, thank you very much for so many replies!
know I've got enough to read ;)

some more questions I've got, which need to be explained in a very easy way:
- How can you "create" x-rays?
- and what can you do with it...

it would be great if i get as much replies as yesterday :)
thanks a lot!

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/xray/making_xrays.html a lovely simple website which tells you 2 ways of making X-rays, in an extremely simple way! I'm sure someone will expand on this if it's too simplistic for you.

Anyway, on to uses. As you probably know, a common use for X-rays is in medicine, especially when diagnosing broken and fractured bones. The X-rays penetrate right through the softer tissue, but are partially blocked by denser tissue, so leave a 'shadow', which is recorded on photographic film.

A very similar technique can be used in industry to detect faults in welds on pressure vessels like aeroplanes and pipelines.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey!
thank you very much! this website is great!

GENIERE said:
You can accelerate away from the x-ray source. At some appreciable fraction of C, the X-rays will begin to be visible to the unaided eye.

What a great method!

A very similar technique can be used in industry to detect faults in welds on pressure vessels like aeroplanes and pipelines.

I actually do this for a living! We have X-Ray tubes, internal "crawling" tubes although I normally use Gamma sources such as Ir92, and Co60...just depends on the "quality" of the radiation suitable for the job.

99% of the time we use film from Kodak,Fuji etc etc. but as mentioned there is flouroscopy for real-time viewing. There are also some fluorescing salt screens, but I have'nt had any exposure to them. Once again, it all depends on the sensitivity,contrast etc. required when you choose your medium.

It's me again :smile:
I've got another question to the x-rays:

Why do we see something on a screen or an a picture or ... if the doctor x-rays e.g. my hand? Is there a more scientific answer than that the x-ray gets absorbed by my bones and there the picture stays white?

Thanks for your effort! :smile:

I was just reading that they were recoverign the text of some old documents by irradiating them with x-rays. The ink used for the original set of documents would flouresce because it contained iron. I don't know the specific wavelength or any of the details.

These are the sole surviving copies of some of Archimedes work. Google could probably find more info.

Stylewriter said:
Why do we see something on a screen or an a picture or ... if the doctor x-rays e.g. my hand? Is there a more scientific answer than that the x-ray gets absorbed by my bones and there the picture stays white?

Not really! Think of it as a shadow. The softer, more fleshy parts of your body allow more X-rays through, while your hard bones (and things like cartiledge and tumours) are denser, so let fewer X-rays penetrate. The areas on the photographic film which are more heavily exposed to X-rays turn black when developed.

This is the basic idea of it. If you want more scientific stuff, try researching X-ray absorption spectra of the human body.

Related to How Do X-Rays Become Visible on Medical Imaging?

What is X-Ray and how does it work?

X-Ray is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is able to pass through most objects. It works by using a machine called an X-Ray generator to produce a beam of high energy photons, which can penetrate through the body and create an image on film or a digital detector.

Why are some objects visible on X-Rays while others are not?

The visibility of an object on X-Ray depends on its density and atomic composition. Objects with a higher density, such as bones, absorb more X-Ray photons and appear whiter on the image. Objects with lower density, such as soft tissues, absorb fewer photons and appear darker on the image.

How can I make X-Ray visible for objects that are not naturally visible?

To make an object visible on X-Ray, it needs to have a higher contrast than its surrounding background. This can be achieved by using contrast agents, such as barium or iodine, which are swallowed or injected into the body to highlight specific areas or structures.

Can X-Ray be used to see through all types of materials?

No, X-Ray can only pass through materials that are not dense enough to absorb the photons. For example, X-Ray cannot penetrate through metal, which is why lead aprons are used to protect patients during X-Ray procedures.

Is there any risk associated with being exposed to X-Ray radiation?

Yes, exposure to high levels of X-Ray radiation can be harmful. However, the amount of radiation used in X-Ray procedures is very low and is generally considered safe. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and limit exposure to X-Ray radiation as much as possible.