How do wood panels resonate, and why do my graphs appear as they do?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process and results of an investigation on the resonant frequency of wood panels. The expected outcome was a decrease in resonant frequency as the length and width of the panels increased, but the data showed a decrease in the first resonant frequency and a positive gradient for the second resonant frequency as width increased. The person conducting the investigation also mentions their understanding of how resonance occurs and their confusion about the vibrations traveling through the wood. They acknowledge the need for further research and understanding on the topic.
abray

Homework Statement

I have this Physics coursework, where I have been investigating how the resonant frequency of wood changes as I increase the length of the wood and the width, by using increasingly long and increasingly wide panels of thin MDF.

What I would expect to see would be a decrease in resonant frequency as both length and width increase.

The problem is that I am slightly unsure about how resonance occurs in wood panels. I have attached a Vibration generator to the wood in the center of the panel, and then increased the frequency to see when the amplitude of oscillation increases largely (when the wood resonates). The problem is that I have produced some graphs, which show that as the length and width of wing increase, the first resonant frequencies both decrease as I have increased the length, but the data showing the second resonant frequency against an increase in length does show a decrease, but the gradient of my best fit line is not constant. I tried to see if the graph was logarithmic, as the graph did look logarithmic, but it is not, but just a smooth curve. The second resonant frequency of the shortest length (30cm) was just less than 80Hz, whilst the first resonant frequency was just over 20Hz, so it does seem to be a multiple of the first resonant frequency, which seems to make sense, but I am unsure as to why I have not got resonance occurring at e.g. 40Hz.

For the graphs of first and second resonant frequency against width, I have got results which show that for the first resonant frequency - as the width increases, the first resonant frequency decreases (with a constant gradient for the line of best fit), but for the second resonant frequency, the gradient is positive, i.e. as width increases, so does the second resonant frequency. I do not understand why this has occurred.

Homework Equations

V = F*Wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to think about how the wood resonates, and I do sort of understand it, i.e. when resonant frequency = driving frequency, the resonance occurs due to the upwards movement of the driving pin attached to the wing coinciding with the upwards movement of the wing at this point, but I am unsure about how vibrations travel through the wood, i.e is it one whole wavelength either side of the driving pin, with a whole wavelength for the outwards vibration? It does make sense that as the length increases, the first resonant frequency decreases, due to the larger amplitude of oscillation and the longer time taken for the vibrations to travel through the wood, but I do not understand how this fits in when considering waves traveling through the wood, which is partly where I have the problem in even beginning to understand why I have the graphs I do have for the second resonant frequencies for the wood panels.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please do no bother replying to this. I realize I haven't done enough research and I am aware that the idea about waves traveling through the wood is incorrect. I will research further online.

Related to How do wood panels resonate, and why do my graphs appear as they do?

1. How do wood panels resonate?

Wood panels resonate when sound waves hit them and cause the wood fibers to vibrate. This vibration creates a series of compressions and rarefactions, which is what we hear as sound.

2. What factors influence the resonance of wood panels?

The resonance of wood panels is influenced by various factors such as the type of wood used, the thickness and size of the panel, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. The shape and design of the panel also play a role in its resonance.

3. Why do my graphs of wood panel resonance look the way they do?

The graphs of wood panel resonance show the amplitude or strength of the sound waves at different frequencies. The peaks and dips in the graph represent the natural frequencies of the panel, which are determined by its size and shape. The shape of the graph can also be affected by external factors such as background noise.

4. Can the resonance of wood panels be controlled?

Yes, the resonance of wood panels can be controlled by altering its size, shape, and material. Different types of wood have different resonance properties, and certain shapes can amplify or dampen specific frequencies. External dampening materials can also be added to control the resonance.

5. How is the resonance of wood panels used in real-life applications?

The resonance of wood panels is used in various applications such as musical instruments, soundproofing, and architectural acoustics. In musical instruments, the resonance of wood panels contributes to the unique tone and sound quality. In soundproofing, wood panels can be strategically placed to absorb or reflect sound waves. In architecture, wood panels can be used to enhance the acoustics of a space by controlling the resonance and sound reflections.