How Do Widths of Functions Relate to Uncertainty Principles?

• Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the width of the probability functions for the wavefunctions ##\psi(x,0) = e^{-\lambda |x|}## and ##\phi(k_x) = \frac{2 \lambda}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{1}{\lambda^2 + k_x^2}##. The two most common ways to calculate the width are using FWHM and the standard deviation. The uncertainty principle relates the uncertainties in the measurement outcomes to the widths of the probability functions. However, the conversation also notes that the wavefunction itself is single valued at the origin, so there can only be either a maximum or a minimum.
ognik
(corrections edited in)
1. Homework Statement

Assume ## \psi(x, 0) = e^{-\lambda |x|} \: for \: -\infty < x < +\infty ##. Calculate ## \phi(k_x) ## and show that the widths of ## \phi, \psi ##, reasonably defined, satisfy ##\Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1 ##

Homework Equations

## \phi(k_x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int \psi(x) e^{-ik_x x} dx ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## \phi(k_x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} [ \frac{1}{(\lambda - i k_x)} e^{(\lambda - i k_x)x} |^0_{-\infty} -
\frac{1}{(\lambda + i k_x)} e^{-(\lambda + i k_x)x} |_0^{\infty} ] ##

## = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} [\frac{1}{(\lambda - i k_x)} + \frac{1}{(\lambda + i k_x)} ] ##

## = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{2\lambda}{\lambda^2 + k_x^2} ##

What does the width of ##\phi, \psi## mean here? They are ## \Delta k_x, \Delta x ##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe, the wavefunction in position should be ##\psi(x,0) = e^{-\lambda |x|}##.
ognik said:
## = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} [\frac{1}{(\lambda - i k_x)} + \frac{1}{(\lambda + i k_x)} ] ##

## = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{\lambda}{\lambda^2 + k_x^2} ##
Check again the last line whether a factor of two should appear or not.
ognik said:
What does the width of ##\phi, \psi## mean here? They are ## \Delta k_x, \Delta x ##?
There are several ways to define the width of a function. The two most common ways are using full-width at half maximum (FWHM) and the standard deviation.

Likes ognik
blue_leaf77 said:
I believe, the wavefunction in position should be ##\psi(x,0) = e^{-\lambda |x|}##.
Sorry, yes.

blue_leaf77 said:
Check again the last line whether a factor of two should appear or not.
Again sorry, yes

blue_leaf77 said:
There are several ways to define the width of a function. The two most common ways are using full-width at half maximum (FWHM) and the standard deviation.
Reading between the lines they are thinking of FWHM - do I take half of ## |\psi \psi^*| ## etc.?

ognik said:
Reading between the lines they are thinking of FWHM - do I take half of |ψψ∗||ψψ∗| |\psi \psi^*| etc.?
Yes, try that. Actually the difference in the form of the uncertainty relation ##\Delta x \Delta k_x## for different definition of the width is on the constant on the RHS, and they do not differ more than one order of magnitude.

Likes ognik
Hi - off course that is the magnitude not the maximum, please critique the following:

##\psi(x,0) = e^{-\lambda |x|}## is even around 0, ie it has a max. at ##x = 0, \therefore \psi_{max} = 1, \therefore \frac{1}{2}\psi_{max} = \frac{1}{2} ##
Therefore at half max, ## x = \pm \frac{1}{\lambda}ln2, \therefore FWHM \Delta x = \frac{2}{\lambda}ln2 ## ?

Similarly ## \phi(k_x) = \frac{2 \lambda}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{1}{\lambda^2 + k_x^2} ## is even around 0, therefore max at ## k_x = 0, \therefore \phi_{max}= \frac{2}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{1}{\lambda}, \therefore\frac{1}{2}\phi_{max} = \frac{1}{\lambda \sqrt{2 \pi}} = \frac{2 \lambda}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \frac{1}{\lambda^2 + k_x^2}, \therefore \Delta k_x = 2\lambda ##

Something is not quite right above, 'cos I expect ##\Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1## but I get ## \frac{2 ln 2}{\lambda} 2 \lambda = 4 ln 2 ##?

(Side point, I assume I could also have found the maxes by setting the 1st differential to 0?)

You should calculate the width of the probability functions ##|\psi(x)|^2## and ##|\phi(k_x)|^2##, not the wavefunctions.
ognik said:
(Side point, I assume I could also have found the maxes by setting the 1st differential to 0?)
Not always, sometimes the probability function has more than one maxima, or worse no first derivative at all like ##\psi(x)## in your case.

Likes ognik
Thanks for being patient, I have a few gaps to find as my degree was over 20 years back ...
I think there is a derivative for ## \psi(x,0), \frac{-x e^{-|x|}}{|x|} ## ? (checked on Wolfram)

Why the width of the probability functions? My text seems to look at the function widths, Ex: " ...it follows that the widths of ## \psi ## and ## \phi ## are effectively related by ## \Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1 ##

Worked those out anyway, got ## |\psi|^2 = e^{\lambda^2 x^2}, \Delta x = \frac{2}{\lambda} ln \frac{1}{2};... |\phi|^2 = \frac{4 \lambda^2}{(\lambda^2 + k_x^2)^2}, \Delta k_x = 2 \lambda (\sqrt{2} - 1) ## but then ## \Delta x \Delta k_x ## gives a negative value (-1.148) ?

I think ## \Delta x , \Delta k_x ## should always be positive real?
Thanks
-------------------------------------
I hope I am not breaking any rules below ...
Understanding all this clearly will help me with my other current posts, especially https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/fourier-analysis-of-wave-packet.855706/.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/wave-packet-expansion.855999/ is slightly different, would appreciate some help with my last query please?
Finally I would appreciate some more help with https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/non-spreading-wave-packet.856281/

Much appreciated

ognik said:
I think there is a derivative for ψ(x,0),−xe−|x||x|ψ(x,0),−xe−|x||x| \psi(x,0), \frac{-x e^{-|x|}}{|x|} ? (checked on Wolfram)
It doesn't have a first derivative at ##x=0##.
ognik said:
Why the width of the probability functions?
Because the quantity which is directly related to the measurement is the probability density, not the wavefunction. Remember that the uncertainty principle tells you the uncertainties in the measurement outcomes.
ognik said:
##|\psi|^2 = e^{\lambda^2 x^2}##
That's not correct, remember you are squaring ##\psi##, which means
$$
|\psi(x)|^2 = e^{-\lambda |x|}\cdot e^{-\lambda |x|} = ?
$$
I am assuming ##\lambda## is real.
ognik said:
##|\phi|^2 = \frac{4 \lambda^2}{(\lambda^2 + k_x^2)^2}
I am sure you are forgetting some constants.

Likes ognik
blue_leaf77 said:
It doesn't have a first derivative at ##x=0##.
Just exploring this a bit further - it is multivalued at x=0, so there is a maximum (and a minimum) at x=0?
blue_leaf77 said:
That's not correct, remember you are squaring ##\psi##, which means
$$
|\psi(x)|^2 = e^{-\lambda |x|}\cdot e^{-\lambda |x|} = ?
$$
I am assuming ##\lambda## is real.
Oops ## e^{-\lambda |x|} \cdot e^{-\lambda |x|} = e^{-2\lambda |x|} ## ?
but ##\frac{1}{2} |\psi|^2 = \frac{1}{2} ## still, then I get ## \Delta x = \frac{ln 0.5}{- \lambda} ## ? Is that right so far?

ognik said:
Just exploring this a bit further - it is multivalued at x=0, so there is a maximum (and a minimum) at x=0?
The wavefunction itself is single valued at the origin, so there can be either only maximum or minimum, to decide which one, one can check the limit of the derivatives when approached from left and from right. For example if it turns out that
$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^-} \frac{d}{dx}f(x) > 0 \\
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{d}{dx}f(x) < 0
$$
then ##f(x)## must have a maximum at ##x=0##, otherwise it's a minimum.
ognik said:
Oops ##e^{−λ|x|}⋅e^{−λ|x|}=e^{−2λ|x|}##?
Yes.
ognik said:
but ##\frac{1}{2} |\psi|^2 = \frac{1}{2} ## still, then I get ## \Delta x = \frac{ln 0.5}{- \lambda} ## ? Is that right so far?
That's right and also note that ## \Delta x = \frac{\ln 0.5}{- \lambda} > 0##.

Likes ognik
Yay! Feeling a bit stoopid at this point...

So ##| \phi |^2 = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \frac{4 \lambda^2}{(\lambda^2 + k_x^2)^2}, ##
## \therefore \frac{1}{2}| \phi |^2_{max} = \frac{1}{\pi \lambda^2} = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \frac{4 \lambda^2}{(\lambda^2 + k_x^2)^2} ##

## \therefore (\lambda^2 + k_x^2)^2 = 2 \lambda^4, ##
## \therefore k_x = \pm \lambda (\sqrt{2} - 1)^{\frac{1}{2}}, ## (at half width)
## \therefore \Delta k_x =2 \lambda (\sqrt{2} - 1)^{\frac{1}{2}} ## ?

## \therefore \Delta x \Delta k_x = \frac{ln .5}{- \lambda} 2\lambda (\sqrt{2} - 1) ^{\frac{1}{2}} = 0.89 ##?

A bit lower than 1, but > 0.5 so I think it's ok?

ognik said:
A bit lower than 1, but > 0.5 so I think it's ok?
You are asked to show that ##\Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1##, therefore as long as your result does not deviate by more than one order of magnitude, that should be fine.

Likes ognik

Related to How Do Widths of Functions Relate to Uncertainty Principles?

1. What is the width of a function?

The width of a function refers to the distance between the points where the function intersects the x-axis. This can also be thought of as the horizontal distance between the two points where the function reaches its maximum and minimum values.

2. How is the width of a function calculated?

To calculate the width of a function, you can use the formula width = |x2 - x1|, where x1 and x2 are the points where the function intersects the x-axis. This formula can also be used to calculate the width of a function represented by a graph.

3. What is the significance of the width of a function?

The width of a function can provide important information about the behavior of the function. It can help determine the range of values for which the function is positive or negative, as well as the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing.

4. Can a function have more than one width?

Yes, a function can have multiple widths. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks or valleys, resulting in multiple points of intersection with the x-axis. In this case, the width of the function would be the sum of the widths of each individual section.

5. How does the width of a function relate to its derivative?

The derivative of a function can be used to find the width of the function. Specifically, the width of a function can be determined by finding the points where the derivative is equal to zero, as these points will correspond to the intersection points with the x-axis.