How do we know when one complex number is greater than another?

In summary, there is no natural ordering for complex numbers, and attempts to order them in a way that respects algebraic structure have led to contradictions. It is possible to order them lexicographically, but this does not necessarily align with the standard order on the real numbers. Therefore, it is not possible to consistently order the complex numbers.
Teegvin

For instance, if [tex]a+bi > c+di[/tex], must [tex]a>c[/tex] and [tex]b>d[/tex]?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We can't consistently order the complex numbers, to show this assume i<0 and derive a contradiction, and then the next logical assumption would be 0<i, from which you can derive yet another contradiction. I think the only way that we really assign any order to the complex numbers is through the modulus ( the modulus of z is denoted |z|, and if z=x+i*y, then |z|=(x2+y2)1/2).

Teegvin said:

For instance, if [tex]a+bi > c+di[/tex], must [tex]a>c[/tex] and [tex]b>d[/tex]?

There is no natural ordering in the set of complex numbers, so you can't compare them that way.

d_leet said:
We can't consistently order the complex numbers, to show this assume i<0 and derive a contradiction, and then the next logical assumption would be 0<i, from which you can derive yet another contradiction.

how can i derive the contradictions? i have tried the following. are those correct?

assume,
[tex]0 < i[/tex]

[tex]i < i+i[/tex]

[tex]i < 2i[/tex]

[tex]i^2 < 2i^2[/tex]

[tex]-1 < -2[/tex] (contadiction)

assume,
[tex]i < 0[/tex]

[tex]i - i < -i[/tex]

[tex]0 < -i[/tex]

[tex]0 < (-i)^2[/tex]

[tex]0 < -1[/tex] (contadiction)

am i right?

Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
how can i derive the contradictions? i have tried the following. are those correct?

assume,
[tex]0 < i[/tex]

[tex]i < i+i[/tex]

[tex]i < 2i[/tex]

[tex]i^2 < 2i^2[/tex]

[tex]-1 < -2[/tex] (contadiction)

assume,
[tex]i < 0[/tex]

[tex]i - i < -i[/tex]

[tex]0 < -i[/tex]

[tex]0 < (-i)^2[/tex]

[tex]0 < -1[/tex] (contadiction)

am i right?

Yes, they both look fine.

We can't order the complex numbers in a way such that the ordering respects the algebraic structure as the ordering on the real numbers does. If you're going to state such a result and prove it you had better put down the conditions and the correct statements.

It is trivial to order them lexicographically, though.

Strictly speaking, just showing that "-1< -2" is not a contradiction- there is no requirement that the order you place on the complex numbers be the same as the standard order when restricted to the reals.
What you can do is:
Assume 0< i. Then 0(i)< i2 so 0< -1 (NOT a contradiction by iteslf) so 0(i)< -1(i) or 0< -i. Now add i to both sides so that i< 0. That DOES contradict 0< i.

HallsofIvy said:
Strictly speaking, just showing that "-1< -2" is not a contradiction- there is no requirement that the order you place on the complex numbers be the same as the standard order when restricted to the reals.
What you can do is:
Assume 0< i. Then 0(i)< i2 so 0< -1 (NOT a contradiction by iteslf) so 0(i)< -1(i) or 0< -i. Now add i to both sides so that i< 0. That DOES contradict 0< i.
An order is not implicit but defined.
For instance we can define order for natural numbers and then extend it to real numbers. Consequently we could do the same thing for imaginary numbers.

It would be an error IMHO to disprove we can define order for imaginary numbers by demonstrating that this order is not valid for real numbers.
And by analogy if we were to accept an order for imaginary numbers to disprove we can define order for real numbers by demonstrating that this order is not valid for imaginary numbers.

Related to How do we know when one complex number is greater than another?

1. How do we compare two complex numbers?

To compare two complex numbers, we look at their magnitudes and angles. The magnitude of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane, and the angle is the direction of the number from the positive real axis. We can compare these values to determine which complex number is greater.

2. Can we use the same method to compare all complex numbers?

Yes, we can use the same method to compare all complex numbers. Every complex number has a magnitude and an angle, so we can compare these values to determine which number is greater.

3. What if two complex numbers have the same magnitude?

If two complex numbers have the same magnitude, we can compare their angles. The number with the larger angle will be greater. If the angles are also the same, then the two complex numbers are equal.

4. How do we represent complex numbers on a graph?

We can represent complex numbers on a graph known as the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the x-axis, and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. The complex number is then represented by a point on the plane.

5. Is there a specific order in which complex numbers should be written for comparison?

No, there is no specific order in which complex numbers should be written for comparison. However, it is common to write complex numbers in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, for easier comparison.