How do we know uncertainty principal isnt ignorance?

In summary: This uncertainty principle says that I cannot know B perfectly and simultaneously. In other words, if I try to measure B and know its value to an arbitrarily high precision, then I will never be able to measure A to the same precision.
acesuv
what if there's a way to measure speed and direction at the same time and we haven't found it out yet? does it have to do with information theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is position and momentum which cannot both be known very accurately simultaneously.

acesuv said:
what if there's a way to measure speed and direction at the same time and we haven't found it out yet? does it have to do with information theory?
It is not a measurement problem, it's just the way the universe works. The fact that is not a measurement problem is inherent in the HUP

If you'd like to see more discussion, do a forum search. This canard has been debunked here many dozens of times.

acesuv said:

There's no problem with measuring speed and direction simultaneously. The uncertainty principle comes into play when we want to measure two things that in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics are represented by non-commuting operators. Speed and direction commute, so they're OK; but position and momentum, or angular momentum along different axes, and many others, are not.

You will find many explanations of the uncertainty principle that say that it's all about measuring one thing having to disturb another. These explanations are based on an erroneous understanding from seventy-five years ago. If you search this forum you will find a number of correct explanations based on what is now understood properly.

The basic issue is that I cannot set up a quantum system in such way that it has known and definite values for two non-commuting observables, call them A and B. I can set the system up so that it has a definite value for A, and then I can measure both A and B to as much precision as I like. However, if I repeat this experiment many times I will find that although I always get the same value for A, I get different values for B. The states in which A has a known value (called "eigenstates" of A) are all states that are not eigenstates of B, meaning that B can take on a range of values.

Related to How do we know uncertainty principal isnt ignorance?

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a concept in quantum mechanics that states it is impossible to determine the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that there will always be some level of uncertainty in these measurements.

2. How does the uncertainty principle relate to ignorance?

The uncertainty principle is often misunderstood as a result of ignorance or lack of knowledge about the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. However, it is a fundamental law of nature and is supported by numerous experiments and mathematical calculations.

3. Can the uncertainty principle be proven?

The uncertainty principle has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in all cases. It is considered a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is supported by a vast amount of evidence.

4. Is the uncertainty principle universally applicable?

Yes, the uncertainty principle applies to all particles, regardless of their size or speed. It is a fundamental law of nature that governs the behavior of all subatomic particles.

5. How does the uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the world?

The uncertainty principle challenges our classical understanding of the world and shows that at a microscopic level, particles do not behave in the same predictable way as larger objects. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.