How do we know the degree of a root which is also a point of inflexion?

In summary: So, the derivative of the function is zero at that point, In summary, The conversation was about solving a question involving a polynomial with unknown values for a, b, c, and d. The problem arose when trying to determine the value of d, as it could be any odd number but the given answer was simply "d = 3". The person discussing the question realized they were not using all the given information, specifically the fact that the point (1,-16) is a stationary point. They were hoping to find a solution without using guess and check, but it seems that there is no other way to solve the question. It was suggested to use the derivative of the function to find a solution.
karan000
Hey guys, I was looking at an exam I did last year and tried to solve a question, which at the time I couldn't do.

Unfortunately I'm running into the same problem I had during the exam, so hear me out on this one

Question:
The graph below has equation y =ax(x-b)(x+c)^d. Write down the values for a, b, c and d.
whatthefuuu.png
Okay, so there's an intercept at x=-1, so b=-1. There's another intercept at x=3, so c = -3

So, y = ax(x+1)(x-3)^d

Now here's the problem, the answers simply say "d = 3", and then sub in the point (1,-16) and solve for a,

But at x=3 (where it's a point on inflexion), can't the degree (d) be ANY odd number? ie. 3,5,7,9,11,...,999999?

Because that's how I learned polynomials, a point on inflexion at a root means the degree of the root is odd.

And so that's where I messed up, becausing I couldn't figure what value of 'd' I should use.

I must obviously be missing some sort of concept, so can someone please help me out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karan000 said:
But at x=3 (where it's a point on inflexion), can't the degree (d) be ANY odd number? ie. 3,5,7,9,11,...,999999?

Because that's how I learned polynomials, a point on inflexion at a root means the degree of the root is odd.

And so that's where I messed up, becausing I couldn't figure what value of 'd' I should use.

I must obviously be missing some sort of concept, so can someone please help me out?

You idea is right - it could be any odd number - so far as you have got.

You now have to ask yourself the question, one of the five or so in Polya's 'How to solve it' book

-

"Am I using all the information I'm given?"

epenguin said:
You idea is right - it could be any odd number - so far as you have got.

You now have to ask yourself the question, one of the five or so in Polya's 'How to solve it' book

-

"Am I using all the information I'm given?"

I'm aware of the the point (1,-16),

So as you already know that b=-1 and c=-3, sub in the point to get:

-16 = a(1)(1+1)(1-3)^d
= 2a(-2)^d

Two varibles makes this unsolvable but using guess and check you'll find 3 is the only correct solution (which just makes the whole question practically ****** and pointless).

I was expecting there to be a way to solve the question without guess and check but I guess there isn't any other way...

OK, you have used the fact that (1, -16) is a point on the function.

But I think you are supposed to use also the fact that it is a special kind of point, a stationary point.

Last edited:

I would approach this question by first clarifying the definition of a point of inflection and its relationship to the degree of a root. A point of inflection on a graph is a point where the curvature changes from convex to concave or vice versa. This means that the graph changes from curving upwards to curving downwards or vice versa at that point.

Now, let's consider the roots of a polynomial function. The degree of a root is the number of times the root appears as a solution to the polynomial equation. In other words, it is the number of times the graph crosses the x-axis at that root.

So, how do we determine the degree of a root that is also a point of inflection? We need to consider the behavior of the graph near that point. If the graph changes from curving upwards to curving downwards at that point, then the degree of the root must be odd. This is because an odd degree polynomial will have a graph that changes direction at its roots. On the other hand, if the graph changes from curving downwards to curving upwards at that point, then the degree of the root must be even. This is because an even degree polynomial will have a graph that does not change direction at its roots.

In this case, we can see that the graph changes from curving upwards to curving downwards at x=3. Therefore, the degree of the root at x=3 must be odd. This means that d=3 is the correct value to use in the equation. If d were any other odd number, the graph would not have a point of inflection at x=3.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. As a scientist, it is important to always clarify definitions and consider the behavior of the system in order to arrive at a correct conclusion.

Related to How do we know the degree of a root which is also a point of inflexion?

1. How do we determine the degree of a root?

The degree of a root can be determined by looking at the degree of the polynomial function it belongs to. For example, if the polynomial function is of degree 3, then the root must have a degree of 3 as well.

2. What is a point of inflexion?

A point of inflexion is a point on a curve where the concavity changes from upward to downward or vice versa. In other words, it is the point where the slope of the curve changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

3. Can a root also be a point of inflexion?

Yes, a root can also be a point of inflexion. This happens when the root is also a point where the concavity of the curve changes.

4. How do we know if a root is also a point of inflexion?

To determine if a root is also a point of inflexion, we can graph the function and observe the behavior of the curve around the root. If the curve changes concavity at the root, then it is also a point of inflexion.

5. Why is it important to know the degree of a root that is also a point of inflexion?

Knowing the degree of a root that is also a point of inflexion can help us understand the behavior of the function better. It can also help us identify critical points and make predictions about the function's behavior, which can be useful in many scientific and mathematical applications.