How do we know that the universe is still expanding

In summary, the idea of using past redshift data to determine the current expansion rate of the universe is based on extrapolating a known pattern. However, this is only possible when considering data from both distant and closer galaxies. The theory of an expanding universe, based on Einstein's General Relativity, allows for an accelerated expansion due to non-zero vacuum energy. Any models that suggest a slowing down of the expansion rate would not fit with the data and theory. Therefore, the concept of accelerating expansion fits well with our current understanding of the universe and its future.
Deepblu
This idea has always bugged me:
If we are looking at the past when observing the redshift of far away galaxies (ex: 10 billions light years).. then how can we tell that the universe at the present time is still expanding at same rate, deaccelerated, or stopped expanding?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Deepblu said:
This idea has always bugged me:
If we are looking at the past when observing the redshift of far away galaxies (ex: 10 billions light years).. then how can we tell that the universe at the present time is still expanding at same rate, deaccelerated, or stopped expanding?

Technically, we can't. But, if the past data shows a pattern, then we can extrapolate that data.

However, there is also data on galaxies much closer than 10 billion light years away. It's putting all that data together that gives the expansion over time.

E.g.

"For supernovae at redshift less than around 0.1, or light travel time less than 10 percent of the age of the universe, this gives a nearly linear distance–redshift relation due to Hubble's law. At larger distances, since the expansion rate of the universe has changed over time, the distance-redshift relation deviates from linearity, and this deviation depends on how the expansion rate has changed over time. The full calculation requires computer integration of the Friedmann equation ..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_expansion_of_the_universe#Evidence_for_acceleration

It is not only about the data showing a trend. It is about that trend fitting well with our current best models of how the Universe works and what that very same model, given the data, tells us will happen in the future.

Likes PeroK
Orodruin said:
It is not only about the data showing a trend. It is about that trend fitting well with our current best models of how the Universe works and what that very same model, given the data, tells us will happen in the future.
Please explain to me how does it fit.. as far as I know the "accelerating" expansion does not fit with GR.

Likes Delta2
Deepblu said:
Please explain to me how does it fit.. as far as I know the "accelerating" expansion does not fit with GR.

The theory of an expanding universe originated with Einstein's GR. An accelerated expansion is consistent with there being a non-zero vacuum energy. In any case, the cosmological models are based on GR.

PeroK said:
Technically, we can't. But, if the past data shows a pattern, then we can extrapolate that data.

However, there is also data on galaxies much closer than 10 billion light years away. It's putting all that data together that gives the expansion over time.

What if closer galaxies tell us that older galaxies have slowed down? In other words the expansion rate we see at 5 billion years way, is the future expansion rate for the 10 billion years away galaxies?

Deepblu said:
What if closer galaxies tell us that older galaxies have slowed down? In other words the expansion rate we see at 5 billion years way, is the future expansion rate for the 10 billion years away galaxies?

That model wouldn't fit either the data or the theory. In particular, I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of "expansion rate". Although galaxies further way (and further in the past) are receding faster than nearer galaxies, the expansion rate (recessional velocity per unit distance is increasing with time, and therefore with proximity).

If expansion were slowing down, we would see a very different pattern, if that is your question. Essentially the opposite of what we do see.

Last edited:
Deepblu said:
This is just counterfactual. It fits perfectly fine with a part of the energy density being in the form of a cosmological constant or other forms of dark energy.

Related to How do we know that the universe is still expanding

1. How do we know that the universe is still expanding?

There is strong evidence from multiple observations that the universe is still expanding. One of the key pieces of evidence is the redshift of galaxies, which is the stretching of light waves as they travel through expanding space. This is known as the Doppler effect, and it indicates that objects in the universe are moving away from each other. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang, also shows patterns consistent with an expanding universe.

2. What is the evidence for the expansion of the universe?

In addition to the redshift of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation, there are other pieces of evidence that support the idea of an expanding universe. These include the observed distribution of galaxies, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the measurements of the Hubble constant, which is a measure of the rate of expansion.

3. How does the expansion of the universe occur?

The expansion of the universe is driven by a mysterious force called dark energy. This force is thought to be responsible for the acceleration of the expansion, and its exact nature is still not fully understood. It is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe.

4. Will the universe continue to expand forever?

Based on current observations, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely. However, there are some theories that suggest the expansion could eventually slow down or even reverse due to the effects of dark energy and the overall geometry of the universe. Further research and observations are needed to determine the ultimate fate of the universe.

5. How does the expansion of the universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The expansion of the universe is a key piece of evidence that supports this theory, as it is consistent with the idea that the universe started from a highly compressed state and has been expanding and cooling over billions of years.