How do we get to this differential equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses scaling and dimensionless quantities in the context of an initial value problem. The experts explain how to derive the equation $\epsilon \bar{h}''(\bar{t})=-\frac{1}{(1+\bar{h}(\bar{t}))^2}$ by substituting the relationships between h and $\bar{h}$, t and $\bar{t}$, and g and $\bar{g}$ in the original equation. They also clarify the relationship between $\bar{h}$ and $\bar{t}$ and how to differentiate with respect to $\bar{t}$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

If we have the initial value problem

$$h''(t)=-\frac{R^2 g}{(h(t)+R)^2} \\ h(0)=0, h'(0)=V$$

we have the fundamental units: $T,L$ such that $T=[t], L=[h], L=[R], LT^{-1}=[V], LT^{-2}=[g]$ and we get the independent dimensionless quantities $\pi_1=\frac{h}{R}, \pi_2=\frac{t}{\frac{R}{V}}, \pi_3=\frac{V}{\sqrt{gR}}$

If we take $\pi_1=\frac{h}{R}$ and $\pi_2=\frac{t}{\frac{R}{V}}$ we have the scaling:

$$\overline{h}=\frac{h}{R}, \overline{t}=\frac{t}{\frac{R}{V}}$$

Then the initial value problem is written equivalently

$$\epsilon \overline{h}''(\overline{t})=-\frac{1}{(1+\overline{h}(\overline{t}))^2} \\ \overline{h}(0)=0, \overline{h}'(0)=1 \\ \text{ where } \epsilon=\frac{V^2}{Rg}$$

Could you explain me how we get to $\epsilon \overline{h}''(\overline{t})=-\frac{1}{(1+\overline{h}(\overline{t}))^2}$ ? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi! (Emo)

How about substituting the relationships between h and $\bar h$, t and $\bar t$, and g and $\bar g$ in the original equation? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi! (Emo)

How about substituting the relationships between h and $\bar h$, t and $\bar t$, and g and $\bar g$ in the original equation? (Wondering)

Is it as follows?

$h(t)= R \overline{h}\left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t}\right) \\ h'(t)=\frac{\partial}{\partial{\overline{t}}} \left( R \overline{h} \left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t} \right)\right) \frac{d \overline{t}}{dt} \\ h'(t)=\frac{V}{R} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\overline{t}}} \left( R \overline{h}\left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t}\right) \right)\\ h''(t)=\frac{\partial}{\partial{\overline{t}}} \left( \frac{V}{R} \frac{\partial}{\partial{\overline{t}}}\left( R \overline{h}\left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t}\right) \right)\right) \frac{V}{R} \\= \frac{V^2}{R^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial{\overline{t}}^2} \left( R \overline{h}\left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t}\right) \right) = \frac{V^2}{R^2} R \overline{h}''\left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t}\right) \frac{R^2}{V^2}= R \overline{h}'' \left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t}\right)$Or have I done something wrong? :confused:

evinda said:
Is it as follows?

$h(t)= R \overline{h}\left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t}\right) \\
h'(t)=\frac{\partial}{\partial{\overline{t}}} \left( R \overline{h} \left( \frac{R}{V} \overline{t} \right)\right) \frac{d \overline{t}}{dt}$

Or have I done something wrong? :confused:

I believe that should be:
$$h(t)= R \bar{h}( \bar{t}) \\
h'(t)=\frac{d}{d{\bar{t}}} \left( R \bar{h} ( \bar{t} )\right) \cdot \frac{d \bar{t}}{dt}
= R \bar{h}'( \bar{t} ) \cdot \d {} t \left(\!\frac{t}{\frac RV}\!\right)
= V \bar{h}'( \bar{t} )
$$
That's because $\bar h$ is a function of $\bar t$ instead of $t$. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
I believe that should be:
$$h(t)= R \bar{h}( \bar{t}) \\
h'(t)=\frac{d}{d{\bar{t}}} \left( R \bar{h} ( \bar{t} )\right) \cdot \frac{d \bar{t}}{dt}
= R \bar{h}'( \bar{t} ) \cdot \d {} t \left(\!\frac{t}{\frac RV}\!\right)
= V \bar{h}'( \bar{t} )
$$
That's because $\bar h$ is a function of $\bar t$ instead of $t$. (Wasntme)

Could you explain me further why this equality holds: $h(t)= R \bar{h}( \bar{t})$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Could you explain me further why this equality holds: $h(t)= R \bar{h}( \bar{t})$ ? (Thinking)

In the problem statement you have that the quantity $\bar h$ is scaled as $\bar h = \frac h R$, making it dimensionless.
Now we make $\bar h$ a function of the corresponding $\bar t$ variable that is expressed in the same set of dimensionless units. That is, $\bar h = \bar h(\bar t)$.
And we already had $h = h(t)$.

Thus $\bar h(\bar t) = \frac {h(t)}{R} \Rightarrow h(t) = R\bar h(\bar t)$. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
In the problem statement you have that the quantity $\bar h$ is scaled as $\bar h = \frac h R$, making it dimensionless.
Now we make $\bar h$ a function of the corresponding $\bar t$ variable that is expressed in the same set of dimensionless units. That is, $\bar h = \bar h(\bar t)$.
And we already had $h = h(t)$.

Thus $\bar h(\bar t) = \frac {h(t)}{R} \Rightarrow h(t) = R\bar h(\bar t)$. (Wasntme)

So $\bar h$ is dimensionless, so we can write it as a function of $\bar t$ since the latter is also dimesnionless, right?

And so we use this equality : $\bar t=\frac{t}{\frac{R}{V}}$ if we want to differentiate? (Thinking)

So is it then as follows?

$$h'(t)=R \frac{d}{dt}(\bar h(\bar t))= R \frac{d}{d \bar t}(\bar h (\bar t)) \frac{d \bar t}{dt}=R \bar h'(\bar t) \frac{V}{R}=V \bar h'(t)$$

$$h''(t)=V \frac{d}{d \bar t}(\bar h'(\bar t)) \frac{d \bar t}{dt}=\frac{V^2}{R} \bar h''(\bar t)$$

Or am I wrong? :confused:

evinda said:
So $\bar h$ is dimensionless, so we can write it as a function of $\bar t$ since the latter is also dimesnionless, right?

And so we use this equality : $\bar t=\frac{t}{\frac{R}{V}}$ if we want to differentiate? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So is it then as follows?

$$h'(t)=R \frac{d}{dt}(\bar h(\bar t))= R \frac{d}{d \bar t}(\bar h (\bar t)) \frac{d \bar t}{dt}=R \bar h'(\bar t) \frac{V}{R}=V \bar h'(t)$$

$$h''(t)=V \frac{d}{d \bar t}(\bar h'(\bar t)) \frac{d \bar t}{dt}=\frac{V^2}{R} \bar h''(\bar t)$$

Or am I wrong? :confused:

Yep! (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Nod)

Great! Thanks a lot! (Happy)

Related to How do we get to this differential equation?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It represents the relationship between a function and its rate of change, and is commonly used to model physical and natural phenomena.

2. Why do we use differential equations?

Differential equations are used to describe and predict the behavior of systems that change over time. They are particularly useful in science because many physical processes can be described as rates of change.

3. How do we solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The specific approach used depends on the type of differential equation and its initial conditions.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. In other words, ordinary differential equations describe the behavior of a single variable, while partial differential equations describe the behavior of multiple variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. Some examples of real-world applications include predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions.