How do we get to the concept of kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school textbook on mechanics and the author's method of problem-solving through consistent concepts. The specific topic being discussed is collisions, and the author's use of the Conservation of Momentum and the Conservation of Energy. The concept of elasticity is introduced and beautifully defined in relation to the bouncing of a ball. The conversation then shifts to a question about the derivation of kinetic energy and the use of 1/2 in the equation. Opuscroakus and jtbell provide explanations and resources for understanding this concept.
Robin04
Hi,

I'm reading a high school textbook about mechanics. It's amazing how the author draws up the problems and solves them by introducing a new consistent concept.

Now I'm reading about collisions. He writes the conservation of momentum but the problem is that we have two unknowns in one equation so another one is needed. He defines beautifully the concept of elasticity by analyzing the bouncing of a ball dropped from a certain height (with geometric sequence) thus solving the problem, we have the second equation. With some simple math he changes it to a form which is very close to the conservation of kinetic energy (only the 1/2-s are missing) then he states that by taking the half of mv^2, so 1/2 mv^2 we get a new notion which is the kinetic energy. I don't really get this part, I feel he's missing something or there's another way to get to the kinetic energy. He doesn't say anything about why we have to multiply the terms (that we got from a very logical thought) with 1/2.

Thanks for you help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think I know where you're wanting to head, but I'm going to need more clarification before I answer in full.

First, a few things.

These aren't mere notions, they're proven theories, so proper terminology will help. :)

Are you simply asking how he's able to go from Conservation of Momentum to the Conservation of Energy? Or is it more complex and you're just not sure how to articulate that? It sounds like he's discussing the Conservation of Energy in an Elastic Collision. Elastic collisions conserve kinetic energy as well as momentumIt would really help if you could at least give us the equations you're seeing.

Conservation of Momentum (Elastic collision): m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Conservation of Energy (Elastic Collision): ½m1(v1i)2 +
½m2(v2i)2 = ½m1(v1f)2 + ½m2(v2f)2

It's possible he may be doing just a straight substitution, but I have no way of knowing until you provide further information. Do these equations look familiar, or close to what you're seeing?

Robin04 said:
there's another way to get to the kinetic energy.

There is, by associating the change in an object's kinetic energy with the work done on it by an external force, via the work-energy theorem.

If you require that W = KEfinal - KEinitial, you get the 1/2 in the KE equation automatically.

http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/physicsnet/topics/Work/WorkEngergyTheorem.html

Every uinversity-level intro physics textbook covers this; don't know about high school textbooks. It's been a long time since I used one of those. :oldwink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Robin04
Yep--that's exactly what I was waiting for her to confirm with a new reply before showing her the step-by-step derivation from the Definite Integral, but needed to make *sure* that's where she was headed.

Eh, well. NO need for it now.

Likes Robin04
Thank you for your answers, Opuscroakus and jtbell! :)

jtbell said:
Every uinversity-level intro physics textbook covers this; don't know about high school textbooks. It's been a long time since I used one of those. :oldwink:
Many do , if not all , I believe .

Related to How do we get to the concept of kinetic energy?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of mechanical energy and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is dependent on the square of the velocity of the object.

5. How is kinetic energy related to work?

Kinetic energy and work are closely related. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, and the work done on an object can increase its kinetic energy. In other words, work can change the kinetic energy of an object.