How do we formulate the electromagnetic Lagrangian?

In summary, the Lagrangian for a charged particle in an electromagnetic field takes the form T-U and leads to the Lorentz force law. This form contradicts the statement that potential energy is found by placing charge/mass in a scalar potential field due to the presence of a vector potential field. Relativity can help to understand this form, as the electromagnetic field is described by a covariant four-potential. The Lagrangian must be Lorentz invariant and the simplest way to include an interaction with the vector field is through the term -phi + (1/c)·(dx/dt)·A. This leads to the familiar Lagrangian, which can be reduced to the non-relativistic kinetic energy in
brad2292
I'm trying to understand how we set up the lagrangian for a charged particle in an electromagnetic field.

I know that the lagrangian is given by $$L = \frac{m}{2}\mathbf{\dot{r}}\cdot \mathbf{\dot{r}} -q\phi +q\mathbf{\dot{r}}\cdot \mathbf{A} $$
I can use this to derive the Lorentz force law using the Euler-Lagrange equations, but I was wondering how we formulate the lagrangian.

My understanding that the lagrangian takes the form ## L = T - U ## in nearly all situations

My issue is with the potential energy terms.

Typically, I understand that potential energy is the found by placing charge/mass in a scalar potential field, so the term ##-q\phi## is the contribution of the electric field.

The fact that the magnetic field is derived from a vector potential field is what's throwing me off right now. $$\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{\nabla\times \mathbf{A}}$$
Plus won't the electric field have some dependence on the vector potential as well due to presence of the magnetic field? $$ \mathbf{E}=-\mathbf{\nabla}\phi -\frac{\partial \mathbf{A}}{\partial t}$$
Any help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This Lagrangian has the form T-U and it leads to the Lorentz force, so all is well.
From the form of L you can only conclude that statement "potential energy is the found by placing charge/mass in a scalar potential field" does not hold in the presence of a vector field.
Hope this helps :-) .

As always with questions on electromagnetics the explanation is much more clear from relativity. Of course, one cannot prove the form of the fundamental laws mathematically but they are founded in observations in nature, but here relativity can help to understand, why the form of the Lagrangian is pretty obvious, given the fact that the electromagnetic interaction is described by a vector field.

In relativistic physics, it's always most simple to work with covariant quantities. The electromagnetic field is described by the four-potential ##A^{\mu}##, which is a vector field, i.e., it transforms under Lorentz transformations like the space-time coordinates, ##x^{\mu}=(ct,x,y,z)##.

Now the usual fundamental laws are derived from the Hamilton action principle with a Lagrangian ##L(\vec{x},\dot{\vec{x}})##. Now to get a Lorentz covariant equation of motion it is for sure sufficient to have a Lorentz invariant action,
$$A[\vec{x}]=\int \mathrm{d} t L.$$
For a free particle it must be a function of ##\dot{\vec{x}}## alone due to translation invariance, i.e., it must not depend on ##\vec{x}##. Further it should be a scalar under rotations due to rotation invariance. Finally, the action must be invariant also under Lorentz boosts, and indeed there's only one possibility left
$$\mathrm{d} t L_0=-m c \mathrm{d} t \sqrt{\eta_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\nu}}=-m c^2 \mathrm{d} \tau,$$
where ##(\eta_{\mu \nu})=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)## is the Minkowski pseudo-metric and ##\tau## the proper time of the particle.

Now for the interaction with a vector field the most simple possibility to add a term that is invariant is
$$\mathrm{d} t L_{\text{int}}=-\mathrm{d} t \frac{1}{c} \dot{x}^{\mu} A_{\mu}=-\mathrm{d} \tau \frac{1}{c} \frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} \tau} A_{\mu}.$$
This leads to the Lagrangian
$$L=-m c \sqrt{\dot{x}_{\mu} \dot{x}^{\mu}}-\frac{1}{c} \dot{x}^{\mu} A_{\mu}.$$
Since
$$\dot{x}^{\mu}=(c,\dot{\vec{x}}), \quad A^{\mu}=(\phi,\vec{A})$$
we get
$$L_{\text{int}}=-\phi+\frac{1}{c}\dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{A},$$
which is the same interaction part as written in the OP, only written in more convenient Heaviside-Lorentz (or Gaussian) units.

For the "kinetic part" it's clear that we get back the non-relativistic kinetic energy, if ##|\dot{\vec{v}} \ll c##, because then we can expand
$$L_0=-m c^2 \sqrt{1-\dot{\vec{x}}^2/c^2} \simeq -m c^2 \left (1-\frac{1}{2 c^2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 \right ) = - m c^2 +\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2.$$
So despite the constant contribution from the mass, which doesn't change the equations of motion, we get indeed the usual kinetic energy of non-relativistic physics.

That suggests quite convincingly why the Lagrangian for a particle in an electromagnetic field takes the form it does. The Euler-Lagrange equations of course lead to the Lorentz force for the charged particle in the electromagnetic field, and this is what is observed.

Related to How do we formulate the electromagnetic Lagrangian?

1. What is the electromagnetic Lagrangian and why is it important in physics?

The electromagnetic Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of electromagnetic fields. It is an essential tool in theoretical physics for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic forces and interactions between charged particles.

2. How is the electromagnetic Lagrangian derived?

The electromagnetic Lagrangian is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. It is also derived from the principle of least action, which states that the physical laws governing a system can be described by finding the path of least resistance.

3. What are the key components of the electromagnetic Lagrangian?

The electromagnetic Lagrangian includes terms for the electric and magnetic fields, as well as terms for the kinetic and potential energy of charged particles. It also includes a term for the interaction between electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does the electromagnetic Lagrangian relate to quantum mechanics?

The electromagnetic Lagrangian is a crucial component in the formulation of quantum electrodynamics (QED), the theory that explains the behavior of electromagnetic interactions at the quantum level. It is used to calculate the probability amplitudes for different quantum processes involving charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the electromagnetic Lagrangian?

While the electromagnetic Lagrangian is a powerful tool in theoretical physics, it has some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of gravity, which requires a more complex formulation. Additionally, it is only applicable to systems involving electromagnetic interactions and cannot fully describe the behavior of other fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.