How Do Volumes of Reactant Gases Compare to Product Gas in Ammonia Synthesis?

This is due to the stoichiometry of the reaction, which determines the ratio of reactants and products.
ND3G
Suppose that you want to prepare 2.00*10^3 L of ammonia gas, NH3 , from the reaction of hydrogen gas with nitrogen gas. What volume of hydrogen and nitrogen do you need? Assume that the temperature and pressure remain constant during the reaction.

3H2(g) + N2(g) -> 2 NH3(g)

V H2 = 2.00*10^3 L NH3 * (3 vol H2 / 2 vol NH3) = 3.00*10^3 L H2

V N2 = 2.00*10^3 L NH3 * (1 vol N2 / 2 vol NH3) = 1.00*10^3 L N2

Therefore, 3.00*10^3 L of hydrogen and 1.00*10^3 L of nitrogen is required to make 2.00*10^3 L of ammonia.

This is an example in my textbook. My question is: how is it that when 3000L of hydrogen and 1000L of nitrogen are combined it produces only 2000L of ammonia?

Is the question stated incorrectly, is it taking into account only one volume of ammonia produced, or does the chemical reaction between hydrogen and nitrogen produce a more closely condensed ammonia gas?

Physics news on Phys.org
ND3G said:
This is an example in my textbook. My question is: how is it that when 3000L of hydrogen and 1000L of nitrogen are combined it produces only 2000L of ammonia?

Your textbook is not wrong. If you look at the equation, four molecules on the left produce 2 molecules of ammonia. So, it makes sense that 4000L are required to produce 2000L of ammonia.

So, does a mole of ammonia, take up the same physical space as either a mole of hydrogen or nitrogen would on their own? By combining the two is the total volume of gases reduced?

3 vol H2 + 1 Vol N2 = 2 Vol NH3

3L H2 + 1L N2 = 2L NH3

Last edited:
At standard temperature and pressure, one mole of any gas will occupy the same volume (~22L I think). So yes, if the reaction was to work completely, then you would be left with a yield of half the volume of the gases you put in.

Related to How Do Volumes of Reactant Gases Compare to Product Gas in Ammonia Synthesis?

What is volume?

Volume is the amount of space occupied by an object or substance. It is typically measured in cubic units such as cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3).

How do you calculate volume?

The formula for calculating the volume of a regular-shaped object is length x width x height. For irregular-shaped objects, you can use displacement method by measuring the amount of water displaced when the object is submerged in a container of water.

What are the common units of volume?

Cubic units such as cubic meters (m3), cubic centimeters (cm3), and cubic feet (ft3) are commonly used to measure volume. Other units include liters (L) and gallons (gal).

What is the difference between volume and capacity?

Volume refers to the amount of space occupied by an object, while capacity is the maximum amount of substance that an object can hold. For example, a bottle with a volume of 500 ml may have a capacity of 600 ml.

How is volume used in real life?

Volume calculations are used in many real-life applications, such as determining the amount of liquid needed to fill a container, calculating the size of a room for furniture, and measuring the amount of ingredients needed for a recipe. It is also used in industries like construction, engineering, and manufacturing.