How Do Velocity and Time Relate in Physics Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relationship between time, velocity, and acceleration for an object moving at a constant (uniform) velocity or undergoing constant (uniform) acceleration. The person is confused about what to write and the possible missing word in the first question is either "distance" or "displacement". They also mention the shape of a velocity versus time graph when acceleration is constant.
ArcherofScience

Homework Statement

I don't understand how to answer these questions. My notes are a bit confusing...

What is the relationship between time for an object moving at a constant (uniform) velocity?

What is the relationship between velocity and time for an object undergoing constant (uniform) acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand, is it the slope or what? I'm just confused on what to write :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
ArcherofScience said:

Homework Statement

I don't understand how to answer these questions. My notes are a bit confusing...

What is the relationship between time for an object moving at a constant (uniform) velocity?

What is the relationship between velocity and time for an object undergoing constant (uniform) acceleration?

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand, is it the slope or what? I'm just confused on what to write :frown:
You're missing some words in the first question.

What is the relationship between _______ and time for an object moving at a constant (uniform) velocity?

I suppose that word that goes in the blank is either distance, or displacement.

What does a velocity versus time graph look like if the acceleration is constant?

Related to How Do Velocity and Time Relate in Physics Problems?

1. What is the importance of written relationships in physics?

Written relationships in physics are crucial as they help to describe the connection between different quantities and variables in a physical system. They allow us to understand how changes in one variable affect another, and are essential for making predictions and solving problems in physics.

2. How do you determine the type of relationship between two variables in physics?

The type of relationship between two variables in physics can be determined by plotting their values on a graph and observing the pattern of the data. If the data points lie on a straight line, the relationship is linear. If the data points form a curved pattern, the relationship is non-linear. Additionally, the slope of the line can also indicate the type of relationship - a positive slope indicates a direct relationship, while a negative slope indicates an inverse relationship.

3. What are the different types of written relationships in physics?

There are three main types of written relationships in physics: direct, inverse, and exponential. A direct relationship means that as one variable increases, the other also increases at a constant rate. An inverse relationship means that as one variable increases, the other decreases at a constant rate. An exponential relationship means that as one variable increases, the other increases or decreases at an increasing rate.

4. How do you write a mathematical equation to represent a written relationship in physics?

To write a mathematical equation for a written relationship in physics, you must first identify the variables involved and determine the type of relationship between them. Then, you can use the general form of the relationship (direct, inverse, or exponential) to write the equation. For example, a direct relationship can be represented by the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

5. Can written relationships in physics be used to make predictions?

Yes, written relationships in physics can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a physical system. By analyzing the relationship between variables and using mathematical equations, we can make predictions about how changes in one variable will affect the other. These predictions can then be tested and verified through experimentation.