How Do Velocities Combine in Relativistic Physics?

In summary, the problem involves two spacecrafts, one launched from the surface of Earth and the other moving towards it. The velocity and speed of the first spacecraft, as measured by the pilot of the second spacecraft, needs to be determined. The velocity of the first spacecraft with respect to Earth is 0.6c at an angle of 50 degrees above the horizontal. The velocity of the second spacecraft with respect to Earth is -0.7c in the x direction. Using the formula for relative velocity, the velocity and speed of the first spacecraft as measured by the pilot of the second spacecraft can be calculated.
Yukz23
Homework Statement
Spacecraft 1 is launched from the surface of the Earth with a velocity of 0:6c (Earth
RF) at an angle of 50

above the horizontal +x axis. Spacecraft 2 is moving with a
velocity of 0:7c (Earth RF) in the x direction towards Spacecraft 1. Determine the
velocity and speed of Spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of Spacecraft 2.

The attempt at a solution
I'm trying to solve this and I'm stuck a bit so far all I've got is that
Vs1e (velocity of spacecraft 1 respect to earth) = 0.6cos50(c)
Vs2e = -0.7c

they want Vs1s2 = Vs1e + Ves2/ 1 + Vs1e (Ves2)/c^2

I'm stuck because I don't know what "Ves2" would be...

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I can't tell either ... I hate subscripts.

In the E frame:
Craft 1 has an x and a y component.
Craft 2 only has an x component.

Use the formula on each component to find the relative velocity of frames 1 and 2.

Lol Thanks,

So should I first do the formulas for the x components and the y components and then combine it..and the hypotenuse would be the answer?

Well... one of the directions does not matter.
Remember the derivation of time dilation you did a while ago - only one of the directions counted for that too.

for any help.Hello, thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to provide a response.

First, let's define our variables to make things clearer. Vs1e will represent the velocity of spacecraft 1 with respect to the Earth, Vs2e will represent the velocity of spacecraft 2 with respect to the Earth, and Vs1s2 will represent the velocity of spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of spacecraft 2.

Based on the given information, we can calculate the velocity of spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of spacecraft 2 using the velocity-addition formula:

Vs1s2 = (Vs1e + Vs2e) / (1 + Vs1e*Vs2e/c^2)

Since we know that Vs1e = 0.6c and Vs2e = -0.7c, we can plug these values into the formula and calculate the velocity of spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of spacecraft 2:

Vs1s2 = (0.6c - 0.7c) / (1 + (0.6c * -0.7c)/c^2)

= -0.1c / (1 - 0.42)

= -0.1c / 0.58

= -0.1724c

Therefore, the velocity of spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of spacecraft 2 is -0.1724c, or 17.24% of the speed of light in the negative x direction.

To calculate the speed of spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of spacecraft 2, we can simply take the absolute value of the velocity:

Speed of spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of spacecraft 2 = |-0.1724c| = 0.1724c

Therefore, the speed of spacecraft 1 as measured by the pilot of spacecraft 2 is 0.1724c, or 17.24% of the speed of light.

I hope this helps with your understanding of the problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies of modern physics!

Related to How Do Velocities Combine in Relativistic Physics?

1. What is velocity addition in modern physics?

Velocity addition in modern physics is a mathematical concept used to calculate the velocity of an object relative to a different frame of reference. It takes into account the speed of the observer and the speed of the object, and uses the principles of special relativity to determine the combined velocity.

2. How is velocity addition different from classical physics?

In classical physics, velocities are simply added together to determine the combined velocity. However, in modern physics, the principles of special relativity must be taken into account due to the effects of time and space dilation at high speeds. This can result in different values for the combined velocity compared to classical physics.

3. What is the formula for velocity addition?

The formula for velocity addition is v = (u + v) / (1 + uv/c^2), where v is the combined velocity, u is the velocity of the observer, v is the velocity of the object, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does the speed of light affect velocity addition?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in modern physics and plays a crucial role in velocity addition. As the speed of the object or observer approaches the speed of light, the combined velocity will also approach the speed of light. Additionally, the denominator in the velocity addition formula approaches infinity, making the combined velocity approach the speed of light as well.

5. Can velocity addition be used for any type of motion?

Velocity addition can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion is in a straight line and at relativistic speeds (close to the speed of light). It is commonly used in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics to calculate the velocities of objects moving at high speeds.