How Do Velocities Affect Collision and Proximity in Particle Dynamics?

In summary, two particles A and B with velocities 3i and vj respectively have a relative position of vj-3ti. In order for A and B to collide, v must equal 2. When v=1 m/s, they are closest together after 3 seconds at a distance of 2√10 metres.
Jastrabik
1.Two particles A and B have velocities 3i and vj respectively (in m/s).
(a) Find the position of B relative to A for all t given that r (b relative to a)
(t=0) = -9i+6j (in metres).

(b) Find the value of v such that A and B collide.

(c) If v=1 m/s, find the time and distance when A and B are closest together.
3. Well, firstly i drew it out. A= 3i+0j , B=0i+vj. Then I integrated A and B and let it equal to -9i+6j and I got t=3 and v=2. I also got the angle to be 33.69°. I don't know what to do after that of if anything i got is right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the way the problem statement is stated your textbook?

If particle [itex] A [/itex] is only moving along the [itex] x-axis [/itex] and particle [itex] B [/itex] is only moving along the [itex] y-axis [/itex], their relative position is always going to be the hypotenuse of a right triangle with a side being a multiple of [itex] 3 [/itex] and another being a multiple of [itex] v [/itex]. Can you figure out what the expression for the position of [itex] B [/itex] relative to [itex] A [/itex] for all [itex] t [/itex] is given their relative position at [itex] t=0 [/itex]?

Yes, that is the way the problem is stated.

So the relative position is vj-3i ?

Jastrabik said:
So the relative position is vj-3i ?
No, that's the relative velocity. You were right to integrate that (I assume v is constant).
But I'm not sure what you meant by this:
I integrated A and B and let it equal to -9i+6j and I got t=3
When you integrate you get an unknown constant, and you have to find the value of that from initial conditions. What general formula did you get for relative position?

When I integrate A= 3i , I will get 3ti + constant and B= vj so that it will be vtj + constant. I added the t because, the answer has to be with respect to time. And then I let it equal to -9i+6j= -3ti +vtj

So you mean that relative position is basically + vtj -3ti because its B relative to A.

And from that I can say that v has to be 2 for them to collide, but what about part 3?

Last edited:
Jastrabik said:
When I integrate A= 3i , I will get 3ti + constant and B= vj so that it will be vtj + constant.
Right so far.
then I let it equal to -9i+6j= -3ti +vtj
No. You need to find out what the two constants are. To do that you use the information about the position when t = 0.

Related to How Do Velocities Affect Collision and Proximity in Particle Dynamics?

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account both the speed and direction of each object.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you must first determine the velocities of each object. Then, you can use vector addition to find the relative velocity, considering the direction and magnitude of each object's velocity.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed reference point or frame of reference, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This means that the two objects are moving in opposite directions.

5. How is relative velocity used in real life?

Relative velocity is used in many fields, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is used to calculate the speed and direction of objects in motion and is crucial in understanding the movement of objects in relation to each other.