How do transistors act as amplifiers?

In summary, transistors are used to amplify electrical signals. They do this by allowing current to flow from the emitter to the collector.
ampakine
I've read loads of explanations but can't find any that are detailed enough. Using a NPN bipolar transistor as an example:
amplifier-transistor.gif

I know that the N type emitter and collector has a surplus of electrons and the P type base has a deficiency of electrons but I don't understand why current can't flow past the P type base. Wouldn't the electrons from the N type sections just occupy the holes in the P type section? Let's say that there are way more holes than surplus electrons, when the transistor is hooked up to a power source wouldn't the electrons from the negative terminal of the battery just fill in the remaining holes?

EDIT: Something I just thought of is the fact that the emitter and collector are both negatively charged to begin with so the negatively charged collector would repel the emitters electrons and oppose the flow of electrons across the base. In other words the base is kind of like a break in the circuit which is how the transistor acts as a switch. Have I got the right idea there? If so there's still a couple of things I don't get. 1.) if the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the collector then wouldn't the collectors surplus electrons just flow to the positive terminal of the battery? 2.) How do transistors act as amplifiers? Let's say I have a transistor hooked up to a 9V battery (the emitter connected to the negative terminal and the collector connected to the positive terminal). At first I have no current flowing through the base so no current can pass from emitter to collector. Then I apply say 500mA to the base which allows current to flow in the main circuit. Would that current be much greater than the current that would have been created by the 9V battery alone? If so, why?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do a post history from me & I covered this issue in great detail in several threads. I can then answer specific questions.

Claude

Related to How do transistors act as amplifiers?

1. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify and switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of a semiconductor material, typically silicon, with each layer having a different level of conductivity. The three layers are called the collector, base, and emitter.

2. How do transistors work as amplifiers?

Transistors work as amplifiers by controlling the flow of electrons between the collector and emitter layers. When a small current is applied to the base layer, it controls the flow of a larger current between the collector and emitter. This amplifies the signal, making it stronger and more powerful.

3. What is the difference between NPN and PNP transistors?

NPN and PNP transistors are two types of bipolar junction transistors, the most common type of transistor. The main difference between them is the direction in which the current flows. In an NPN transistor, the current flows from the collector to the emitter, while in a PNP transistor, the current flows from the emitter to the collector.

4. How do transistors work as switches?

Transistors can also work as switches by controlling the flow of current between the collector and emitter. In this mode, a small current applied to the base layer can turn the transistor "on" or "off", allowing or blocking the flow of a larger current between the collector and emitter.

5. What are some common applications of transistors?

Transistors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, televisions, radios, and mobile phones. They are also used in power supplies, amplifiers, and digital logic circuits. Transistors play a crucial role in modern technology and have greatly contributed to the miniaturization and advancement of electronic devices.