How Do Tire Sizes Affect Car Speed at Constant RPM?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular velocity, linear velocity, and tire diameter for different car and tire types. The question posed is how to calculate the speed of the cars in mph when the wheels are turning at 800rpm, and the response suggests using the given tire diameters to find the speed of the outer edge of the wheel. The conversation does not provide a specific formula, but reassures that the tire type is not necessary for this calculation.
gjb19
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. You'll probably think it is easy, but oh well :smile:.

begin to explore aspects of angular velocity/and linear velocity and how tires affect them.

Car Type Tire Type Tire Diameter-inches
Ford Taurus 215/60-16 26.16
Chevy Camaro 235/55-16 26.18
Dodge Dakota 255/55-17 28.04

#1. Find the speed of each car in mph when the wheels are turning at 800rpm.

Ok, my question is what formula do I use that includes the Tire type?

thanks
Grant

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to use the diameters given to find the speed of the outer edge of the wheel at 800rpm. I don't think you need to know the tire types. In fact I don't have a clue what the tire type means, but I can figure out the speeds of those cars!

Hello Grant,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. It's great that you are exploring the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity and how it is affected by tires.

To answer your question, the formula you will need to use is v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity in meters per second, ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, and r is the radius of the tire in meters.

However, since your tire diameter is given in inches, you will need to convert it to meters first. You can do this by multiplying the diameter by 0.0254 (1 inch = 0.0254 meters).

Using this formula, you can find the linear velocity of each car by plugging in the given values for angular velocity (800rpm) and tire diameter (converted to meters). Remember to convert the result to miles per hour (mph) by multiplying by 2.237.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Best,

Related to How Do Tire Sizes Affect Car Speed at Constant RPM?

1. What is linear velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line. It is a measurement of how fast the object is moving along a specific path.

2. How is linear velocity calculated?

Linear velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by an object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for linear velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between linear velocity and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the speed of an object rotating around a fixed point. Linear velocity is measured in distance per unit time (e.g. meters per second), while angular velocity is measured in radians per unit time.

4. How does linear velocity affect an object's acceleration?

Linear velocity and acceleration are directly related. If an object's linear velocity increases, its acceleration also increases, and vice versa. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

5. How is linear velocity used in real-world applications?

Linear velocity is used in many real-world applications, such as in sports to measure the speed of a ball or athlete, in transportation to calculate the speed of a vehicle, and in engineering to design machines and structures that need to move at specific speeds.