How do these statistics courses compare to other schools?

In summary, the applied mathematics program at the school the the the person is considering attends is on par with others, but the statistics program at the school is not as well known. The person is not sure about other school's statistics programs, so they were wondering if someone could read through these and tell them how they compare to your stat courses.
PowerIso
It's time for me to start deciding if I should head the applied mathematics route or statistics route. I know the applied mathematics program at my school is is on par with others but I'm not sure about the statistics program. I do not know much about other school's statistics programs, so I was wondering if someone could read through these and tell me how they compare to your stat courses.

MTH 540 (440) Statistical Theory I 3(3-0), F

Prerequisite: MTH 302 and MTH 315. Random variables, discrete and continuous probability functions, expectation, moment-generating functions, transformation of variables.

MTH 541 Statistical Theory II 3(3-0), S

Prerequisite: MTH 540. Estimation, complete and sufficient statistics, maximum likelihood estimation, hypothesis testing, nonparametric statistics.

MTH 543 Stochastic Modeling 3(3-0), S

Prerequisite: MTH 540. This course will study applications of probability and statistics from a modeling point of view. Topics include generating functions, branching processes, discrete time Markov chains, classification of states, estimation of transition probabilities, continuous time Markov Chains, Poisson processes, birth and death processes, renewal theory, queuing systems, Brownian motion, and stationary processes. Computer statistical packages will be used.

MTH 546 Analysis of Variance and Design of Experiments 3(3-0), D

Prerequisite: MTH 345 or MTH 541 or MTH 545 or permission of the department head. Topics include analysis of variance, estimation of variance components, randomized incomplete blocks, Latin squares, factorial nested, split-plot designs, fixed, random and mixed models.

MTH 547 Applied Regression Analysis 3(3-0), D

Prerequisite: MTH 345 or MTH 541 or MTH 545 or permission of the department head. Topics include fitting a straight line, matrix models, residuals, selecting best equation, multiple regression, and nonlinear estimation.

MTH 548 Applied Time Series Analysis 3(3-0), F

Prerequisite: MTH 345 or MTH 541 or MTH 545 or permission of the department head. This course will study the analysis of data observed at different points of time. Topics include stationary and non-stationary time series models, linear time series models, autoregressive models, autocorrelations, partial autocorrelations, moving average models, ARMA models, ARIMA models, forecasting, prediction limits, model specification, least square estimation, and seasonal time series models. Computer statistical packages will be used.

Physics news on Phys.org
stat would get you a better job in undergrad level...

Thanks for all the input. I have taken a lot of pure mathematics courses. Well, maybe not a lot, but more than people usually in my positions. You wrote a lot, so it'll take me a good long while to actually read it all and absorb it. Thanks once again!

Related to How do these statistics courses compare to other schools?

1. What is the difference between statistics and applied mathematics?

Statistics is the study of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data, while applied mathematics is the use of mathematical methods to solve real-world problems. While both fields involve the use of mathematical concepts and techniques, statistics is more focused on data analysis and interpretation, while applied mathematics is more concerned with developing mathematical models and algorithms to solve practical problems.

2. How are statistics and applied mathematics used in scientific research?

Both statistics and applied mathematics play important roles in scientific research. Statistics is used to analyze and interpret data collected in experiments, while applied mathematics is used to develop mathematical models and simulations to understand complex systems and phenomena. Together, they help scientists make sense of their data and make informed conclusions about their research.

3. What are some common applications of statistics and applied mathematics?

Statistics and applied mathematics have numerous applications in various fields such as finance, engineering, biology, and social sciences. Some common applications include data analysis, risk assessment, optimization, and predictive modeling. They are also used in fields such as machine learning and artificial intelligence to develop algorithms and make predictions based on data.

4. What skills are necessary to excel in statistics and applied mathematics?

To excel in statistics and applied mathematics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques such as algebra, calculus, and probability. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and programming skills are important in order to analyze data and develop mathematical models. Good communication skills are also crucial for effectively communicating findings and results to others.

5. How can statistics and applied mathematics be applied in the real world?

Statistics and applied mathematics have a wide range of applications in the real world. They can be used to analyze and interpret data in fields such as healthcare, economics, and marketing to make informed decisions. They are also crucial in developing new technologies, from designing computer algorithms to developing new materials. In addition, they are used to solve complex problems in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy.