How Do These Algebraic Expressions Equate in an ODE Problem?

In summary, basic algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and solving of equations and expressions using symbols and variables. The basic algebraic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, which can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations. Some common mistakes in basic algebra include forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, making sign errors, and not properly distributing or factoring terms. To improve basic algebra skills, regular practice and seeking help from a teacher or tutor is recommended. Basic algebra has many real-life applications, such as calculating finances, solving problems in science and engineering, and understanding patterns and relationships in data. It is also used in various professions, including accounting, economics, and computer programming.
andrew.c

Homework Statement

I'm doing an ODE problem, and I have a set of solutions for it, but I do not understand how

[tex]\frac{y+1}{y-1} = Cx^2[/tex]

can equal

[tex]y = \frac{1+Cx^2}{1-Cx^2}[/tex]

Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic technique is to multiply both sides by y - 1, then move all terms in y to one side and all other terms to the other side and solve for y.

For this problem, though, I get y = (Cx^2 + 1)/(Cx^2 - 1), which is different from what you showed.

First of all, it's great that you are working on an ODE problem and seeking help when you encounter confusion. Algebra can be tricky, so let's break down the steps to understand how these two equations are equivalent.

The first step is to multiply both sides of the equation \frac{y+1}{y-1} = Cx^2 by (y-1). This will eliminate the fraction and give us:

y+1 = Cx^2(y-1)

Next, distribute the Cx^2 to both terms on the right side:

y+1 = Cx^2y - Cx^2

Then, subtract Cx^2y from both sides:

y+1 - Cx^2y = -Cx^2

Now, we can factor out a y from the left side:

y(1-Cx^2) = -Cx^2

Finally, divide both sides by (1-Cx^2) to isolate y:

y = \frac{-Cx^2}{1-Cx^2}

But wait, this doesn't look quite like the second equation given. Don't worry, we're almost there. Remember that a negative divided by a negative is a positive, so we can rewrite the equation as:

y = \frac{Cx^2}{Cx^2-1}

And finally, we can rearrange the terms to match the second equation given:

y = \frac{1+Cx^2}{1-Cx^2}

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the steps and reasoning behind the algebra. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to seek help when needed.

Related to How Do These Algebraic Expressions Equate in an ODE Problem?

What is basic algebra?

Basic algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and solving of equations and expressions using symbols and variables.

What are the basic algebraic operations?

The basic algebraic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations.

What are the common mistakes in basic algebra?

Some common mistakes in basic algebra include forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, making sign errors, and not properly distributing or factoring terms.

How can I improve my basic algebra skills?

The best way to improve your basic algebra skills is to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is important to understand the fundamental principles and concepts before moving on to more complex problems.

What real-life applications does basic algebra have?

Basic algebra has many real-life applications, such as calculating finances, solving problems in science and engineering, and understanding patterns and relationships in data. It is also used in various professions, including accounting, economics, and computer programming.