How Do Spinning Tops and Suspended Magnets Exhibit Surprising Physics?

In summary, the observation of magnets spinning when suspended over superconductors is due to the \Large\text{M}\ddot{\text{o}}\text{ssbauer}} effect, where magnetic fields are excluded from superconductors. This is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the superconductor's current. However, the rising of a top when released with high speed is not related to this effect and may be due to other factors such as the release angle or aerodynamic effects. These two phenomena are not related unless the top is magnetic and is suspended over a superconductor.
deepthishan
When you release a top with high speed, it rises for an instant. Why is this?
I've also seen magnets spinning madly when suspended above superconductors.

Are these observations related and is there an explanation for this?

Many Thanks,
:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnets can be suspended over superconductors because of the [tex]\Large\text{M}\ddot{\text{o}}\text{ssbauer}}[/tex] effect, the observation that magnetic fields are excluded from superconductors. They are excluded because any magnetic field will set up a moving current in the superconductor of sufficient strength (assuming it is less than the critical current of the superconductor) to repel the magnet and its magnetic field. Naturally, a magnet suspended over a superconductor is stable, it doesn't spin. However, they can easily be caused to spin (by simply nudging them in the right direction) and will take awhile to slow down since there is very little friction (since they are suspended, I would think it is mostly from air resistance).

As for the top, I am unsure of the source of the effect. It could be due to having released it at an upward angle (giving it a little vertical velocity), or maybe an aerodynamic effect where the movement of the air due to the spinning top imparts a little upward velocity (I doubt such an effect would be large enough to notice even if it exists.).

So, no, the reasons are not related (unless the top is magnetic and is over a superconductor).

I don't believe I've ever noticed a top rise when you spin it quickly. You sure about this?

Here's one in action:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do Spinning Tops and Suspended Magnets Exhibit Surprising Physics?

Why do spinning tops rise?

Spinning tops rise due to the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This means that as the top spins, the force of gravity pulls it down, but the spinning motion also creates a force that opposes the pull of gravity, causing the top to stay upright and appear to rise.

How does the shape of a spinning top affect its rising motion?

The shape of a spinning top can affect its rising motion because it determines the distribution of mass and the placement of the center of mass. A top with a low center of mass and a wide base will be more stable and will rise more easily than a top with a higher center of mass and a narrow base.

Can tops rise on any surface?

No, tops can only rise on surfaces that provide enough friction to allow the tip to grip and push against the surface. Smooth or slippery surfaces do not provide enough friction for the top to rise.

Why do some tops keep rising while others eventually fall over?

The amount of friction between the top and the surface is a key factor in determining how long a top will continue to rise. If the friction is high enough, the top will keep rising until it loses momentum. However, if the friction is too low, the top may eventually fall over due to the force of gravity overpowering its spinning motion.

Are there any other factors that can affect a spinning top's rising motion?

Yes, other factors such as the initial force used to spin the top, the quality and balance of the top, and external forces like air resistance can also play a role in a spinning top's rising motion. Additionally, the surface on which the top is spinning can also affect its rising motion, as surfaces with imperfections or inclines can cause the top to rise in a different direction or at a different speed.