How Do Sound Waves Travel Through Different Mediums?

In summary: For sound, they would click on "How does sound work?" which takes them to a page that explains sound in detail.
franz32
Most children, play with toy telephones by connecting two plastic cups with a long string. When the string is pulled tightly, sound is transmitted from one cup to the other. How does that thing work? (I 'm used to play with it but I ignored that fact).

Another one... doctors use stethoscope to a patient to know his physical health... how does that thing work? I think most waves need a medium to travel... so thru what medium is the sound transmitted? =)

Physics news on Phys.org
The medium in this case is the solid itself (the string in the telephone case).

franz32 said:
Another one... doctors use stethoscope to a patient to know his physical health... how does that thing work? I think most waves need a medium to travel... so thru what medium is the sound transmitted? =)
The medium in a stethescope is plain old air. All the tubing is hollow including the metal tubes at the top that go into the ears. These have plastic knobs on the end with a hole in them. There is a clear channel for the air from the drumlike membrane that the Doctor puts agains your body all the way up to his ears.

Thanks for the help for the doctor... =)

Most children, play with toy telephones by connecting two plastic cups with a long string. When the string is pulled tightly, sound is transmitted from one cup to the other. How does that thing work? (I 'm used to play with it but I ignored that fact).

Does it somethng to do with the sound traveling through the string?

Isn't that what arildno said?

franz32 said:

Does it somethng to do with the sound traveling through the string?
Yes, but the cup is an important part of it. You can't just hold up a string and talk at it. It won't work. The cup is a good collector of the vibrations your voice is producing. These would otherwise dissipate with no effect on the string.

So, your voice vibrates the cup, which sends sound impulses along the string, which cause the other cup to vibrate in turn.

Sound can travel through gas, liquid, or solid.

This site here goes into more detail:

Address:http://www.le.ac.uk/se/centres/sci/selfstudy/snd3.htm

franz32 said:
... so thru what medium is the sound transmitted? =)
I agree with you, zoobyshoe, the cups are crucial in order to actually be able to send a sound wave through the string; however, I gave an answer to the quoted question (although, I admit, the answer was a bit short..)

I know, Arildno. Sometimes the problem is people aren't sure how to specify what information they're looking for. Since he asked again I thought I'd try answering "How does that thing work?"

Last edited:
Which you did splendidly :smile:
The link you gave seems interesting..

Related to How Do Sound Waves Travel Through Different Mediums?

1. What is the velocity of sound in solids?

The velocity of sound in solids is the speed at which sound waves travel through a solid material. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How does the velocity of sound in solids compare to that in liquids and gases?

The velocity of sound in solids is generally higher than that in liquids and gases. This is because the molecules in a solid are closer together, allowing sound waves to travel more quickly through the material.

3. What factors affect the velocity of sound in solids?

The velocity of sound in solids can be affected by various factors such as the density, elasticity, and temperature of the material. In general, denser and more elastic materials have a higher velocity of sound, while higher temperatures can increase the velocity.

4. How is the velocity of sound in solids measured?

The velocity of sound in solids can be measured using different techniques, such as the pulse-echo method or the resonance method. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for a sound wave to travel through the material and using this data to calculate the velocity.

5. Why is the velocity of sound in solids important?

The velocity of sound in solids is important in various industries, including construction, engineering, and materials science. It is also a key factor in understanding how sound travels through different materials and can help in the development of new technologies such as ultrasound imaging and non-destructive testing methods.