How do satellites stay i space

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of how satellites stay in space and the possibility of using a balloon and water experiment to demonstrate this concept. The original poster is seeking ideas and assistance for their posterboard project, and another member suggests checking out a related thread for further information. The thread is then locked due to an unhelpful response.
u83rn00b
:confused: Hi every1, I am currently doing a posterboard and i need sum help...I need to know how satellites stay in space..i need to sdo an expierement then post pictures, questions, summarys, etc. Anyone have and ideas on how to signify how a satellite stays in space?
A friend of mine said that I could get a balloon, and a bowl of water. He said I should fill the balloon with air and the bowl with water, then from the bottem of the balloon pull it into the water. He claimed that if i pictured it upside down (the water as the Earth's gravity and the balloon as the satellite) would show how the satellite stays in space...Is this valid??or bs?? HELP ME!:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask your friend to throw a ball as far as they can.
Give a price for the one who will satellize it.
If nobody succeeds, make a graphic of what it would look like to succeed.

u83rn00b, there is a thread about this already here in the same forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=114962

Please check out that thread to see if it meets your needs.

lalbatros, your reply was not very helpful. Please confine your replies (especially in the Homework Help forums) to helpful contributions.

This thread is locked. Please follow the link for further discussion about this question.

Related to How do satellites stay i space

1. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit by balancing the force of gravity, which pulls them towards the Earth, with their velocity, which allows them to continue moving forward. This balance is known as orbital velocity.

2. What keeps satellites from falling back to Earth?

The centrifugal force created by a satellite's high speed and the gravitational pull of the Earth work together to keep it in orbit. As long as these two forces are equal, the satellite will continue to orbit without falling back to Earth.

3. Do satellites ever run out of fuel?

Yes, satellites do run out of fuel eventually. However, most satellites are equipped with enough fuel to last for several years. Once they run out of fuel, they will no longer be able to maintain their orbit and will eventually fall back to Earth.

4. How do satellites adjust their orbit?

Satellites can adjust their orbit by using small rocket thrusters, which allow them to change their speed and direction. This is typically done to correct any minor deviations from their intended orbit or to avoid collisions with other objects in space.

5. Can satellites fall out of orbit?

Yes, there are a few ways that a satellite can fall out of orbit. If a satellite runs out of fuel, it will eventually fall back to Earth. Additionally, collisions with other objects in space or natural forces such as atmospheric drag can also cause a satellite to fall out of orbit.